Since deciding to continue work on Redux (aiming hopefully for an eventual v2.0 release) I've been considering what I, and you guys, want to implement into the mod, as well as the time-frame to do so and the development cycle.
Let's talk about the first point, first!
What's coming in v2.0?
A good question! I've identified three main areas in which I had hoped to improve the game in v1.0, but which unfortunately didn't make the cut in time.
- Though I'm quite proud of the 149 new weapon variants introduced in v1.0, the way the game handles their distribution is a little flawed, and they simply don't make up for the lack of upgrading (on both weaponry and outfits). Because the way the vanilla upgrade system works leads to huge balance issues and other problems when used with weapons that have non-vanilla statistics, I'll need to develop a new system of upgrades for each weapon and outfit that allow you to improve your items but not make them horribly unbalanced! I'm determined to do this, and once done should make the overall game experience more fun (as it's great to be able to keep a personal weapon for the whole game, right?).
- Ah, stashes. I hope you can understand why I had to remove these altogether after not having enough time to create the new system I had in mind - the fact that you can find huge amounts of supplies almost everywhere you look doesn't work well when trying to create a sense of desperation because of lack of supplies! The new system I'm looking to implement would hopefully lead to entirely new stash locations (as knowing where everything is already is boring, right?) containing different goodies, flavour items, and of course, supplies! I hope to have more information on this in the near future.
- Life in Pripyat
- Again, another area in which I was sad to have to skimp was Pripyat - as mentioned in my 'Bringing Life to the Dead City' article, I was disappointed in the state of Pripyat in vanilla CoP, especially as it's the game's namesake. I want to bring more life and dynamic interaction to the zone, so that means more mutants and Stalkers, for a start!
So those are the three main points I'm looking to address for v2.0, but that's not all! Along with these, I'm looking to add...
- New suits, helmets and usable items.
- New flavour items.
- An improved Random Weapon System.
- Better NPC, economy and weapon balance.
- ... And more!
So, now it's your turn!
Let me know what you think about what I've said, and if you have sensible and realistic ideas you'd like to see in the mod, tell me!
Next time, we'll talk about the ways of handling development and the time-frame for v2.0!
Don't let the blind dogs get'cha!
Creator of Call of Pripyat: Redux