Sound Overhaul: a Dreamcast sound mod
I'm happy to announce the first test release of a new Dreamcast mod called Sound Overhaul, which you can download here.
This mod is an attempt to make SADX PC sound like the Dreamcast version of SA1. It replaces most ingame sound effects with files ripped from SA1 Dreamcast .MLT files, as well as restores missing ambient noises and other sound effects.
Recommended config settings: music volume 60-70, sound volume 100
This version includes sounds for the following:
- General effects (jump, ringloss, spindash etc.)
- All Action Stages, Adventure Fields and boss battles
- All characters (English only)
- Subgames except Sand Hill
- 2 cutscenes (fight with Knuckles before Chaos 4 and Gamma's prison cutscene)
The following sounds are not included in this release:
- Japanese character sounds
- Sand Hill effects
- Snow/sandboard sound
- Cutscene sounds (except the 2 mentioned above)
- Chao-related sounds
Known issues with this release:
- Some sounds may be more quiet or loud than needed
- Some effects (for example, Chaos 6 background sounds) are still missing. This is because the game doesn't seem to use them even though they are present. It is likely that the same happens in the Dreamcast version.
- Some sounds may get cut off. In most cases this happens in both unmodded SADX and SA1 Dreamcast.
- Some ripped sounds may have clicking or other defects. I fixed some of the most obvious cases, but there are still some left.
- Some sounds are still different on the Dreamcast (Zero's chest-thumping sound, wind howling in Sky Deck). It is likely that the Dreamcast applied additional effects to original sounds, which need to be implemented separately.
- The size of the mod could be reduced significantly if long "empty" sounds were replaced. This will be fixed in an update.
- There MAY be cases when badniks use wrong sound effects. The enemy sound bank in unmodded SADX contains sounds that break Egg Keepers in Hot Shelter. I fixed that, but I don't know if it broke anything else.
SonicFreak94 for helping me disable the sound ID check in Mystic Ruins Act 3