Urrah for the Tsar! Equip musket in hand and sound the marching drums of battle as Holdfast: Nations At War sees its Version 1.0 release out of Early Access with the ever so glorious introduction of the mighty Russian Empire.
Celebrating the rather remarkable feat after more than two years of ongoing development, there’s plenty more we have to show for in this release… and we’re not done just yet! We will continue supporting Holdfast and its community with additional features, improvements towards existing mechanics followed by the delivery of our tools to the players to create their own content.
Urrahh! The Russian Empire
Stand shoulder to shoulder and fire devastating volleys in smoke-filled Napoleonic field battles as another nation joins the war. Fight for the glory of the Tsar and defend your homeland from the onslaught of the French invader as cries of Urahhh!! arise from those brave few men charging forward firmly holding a bayoneted musket in hand.
Patriotic, brave and honourable. We captured this with period-accurate uniforms, melee weapons and firearms for all 15 classes, a masterful composition of the tune played when the empire sees a victory, 7 marching tunes for both fifers and drummers along with a massive selection of Russian voice-acted orders, cheers, insults, shouts, calls and warcries.
Regiments of The Russian Empire
- Infantry Officer - Mogilev Infantry Regiment
- Line Infantry - Mogilev Infantry Regiment
- Line Infantry (Interior) - Interior Guard Battalion
- Grenadier - Pavlovsk Grenadiers
- Guard - Semyonovsky Regiment
- Light Infantry - 24th Jaegers
- Flag Bearer - Mogilev Infantry Regiment
- Drummer - Mogilev Infantry Regiment
- Fifer - Mogilev Infantry Regiment
- Surgeon - Surgeon Corps
- Sapper - 2nd Pioneer Regiment
- Carpenter - 2nd Pioneer Regiment
- Rifleman - Russian-German Legion
- Cannoneer - Foot Artillery
- Hussar - Akhtyrka Hussars
- Cuirassier - Military Order Cuirassiers
Seasonal Leaderboards & Medals
Honourably compete to better your standing in the class-based seasonal leaderboards! You will find yourself in the hall of fame should you be successful in retaining your standing with the top 5 of your preferred class once a quarterly season comes to an end.
Decorated medals will be awarded to enlisted veterans going above the 50th soldier rank - It’ll truly be a rare sight to behold! Those that achieve this great deed have our deepest respect for their dedication.
Loyalist Edition. Support Us
A package for those who wish to go the extra mile and support the development team. Gather access to splendid cosmetic overrides for officer swords, a special medal showing your loyalty to the cause, the ability to ride into battle on a white steed exclusive only to loyalists, soundtracks, artwork and more!
It is the community which has brought Holdfast to where it is today and for that, you have our sincere thanks and everlasting gratitude. Your kind generosity will be put to good use and bring this genre of musket warfare games which all of us are fond of in the limelight.
Early Access Followers. Thank You!
You’ll also find a small reward from us serving as a show of appreciation for all those good folks that showed us their support during Early Access! Surgeons, Carpenters, Sappers and Infantry Officers will come equipped with additional unique weaponry that are ever so slightly better than doing the notorious deed with your bare fists.
These classes already come equipped with better weaponry making for a brilliant sight to witness should you show your might and mettle by bringing an end to your opponent with these shorthanded tools of war.
- Surgeon - Knife
- Carpenter - 1H Axe
- Sapper - 1H Adze
- Infantry Officer - Dirk
What’s Next? A Brief Rundown
You may find yourself asking the age-old question if we’ll continue supporting the game and rightly so! The answer to this, of course, is an astounding yes. Holdfast is a labour of love for everyone here in the team and we take great pleasure in continuing to provide the community with new content and features which are sure to bring about much excitement and revel.
Our roots are intertwined with the modding scene - That’s where the good majority of the team kickstarted their careers from bringing Holdfast to where it is today! One of our commitments following the game’s Version 1.0 release is to provide the community with a set of tools to design and develop their own modifications. A feature-full map editor, the ability to replace uniforms for existing classes, equipment and more.
Holdfast: Nations At War will continue to receive updates targeting game balance, improvements on existing mechanics, quality of life additions as well as new features.
- Design and create your own content through modding support.
- New maps varying in style and play. Playable across game modes on land or on sea.
- Devise a system to allow players to vote for the next map.
- Changes targeting game balance.
- Improvements on existing features including melee combat.
- More tools to further facilitate the administration of Linebattle events. A staple of Holdfast!
Community. Join The Discord!
Looking for a good bunch of fellows to play with? Do join our Discord! Linebattle events where players are encouraged to play in formations relevant to the Napoleonic era are hosted by the community through the week. Discord is also a great place to stay in touch with the game’s development. Feedback is always greatly welcomed.
If you’re a fellow in the ranks of a regiment, go declare your enlistment. Through this, you can gather access to the ‘Field Camp’ where clan specific discussion ensues. We look forward to seeing you there!
There’s plenty more to look out for in this major update! Additions focused towards gameplay balance, quality of life improvements, tools to facilitate the administration of events, bug fixes and more.
Take a look at the changelog for all the details.
Changelog 49 - Game Version 1.0.7366.29614
- Holdfast: NaW Version 1.0. Game is out of Early Access!
- Urahh for the Tsar! Russian Empire. Stand shoulder to shoulder and fire devastating volleys in smoke-filled Napoleonic field battles as another nation joins the war.
» New period-accurate uniforms portraying the Russian Empire in all its glory.
» New melee weapons and firearms representative of the Russian Empire.
» A masterful composition of the tune played when the empire sees a victory.
» 7 marching tunes for both fifers and drummers.
» Along with a massive selection of Russian voice-acted orders, cheers, insults, shouts, calls and warcries.
- Seasonal Leaderboards. Honourably compete to better your standing in the class-based seasonal leaderboards!
» You will find yourself in the hall of fame should you be successful in retaining your standing with the top 5 of your preferred class once a quarterly season comes to an end.
- Decorated Soldier Medals. Decorated medals will be awarded to enlisted veterans going above the 50th soldier rank with a particular class.
- Multiple Fronts! The main menu background scene was redesigned to encompass the notion of the fight on multiple fronts.
- Surgeons, Carpenters, Sappers and Infantry Officers will come equipped with additional unique weaponry that are ever so slightly better than doing the notorious deed with your bare fists.
» Surgeon - Knife
» Carpenter - 1H Axe
» Sapper - 1H Adze
» Infantry Officer - Dirk
- Steam Collectables. Collectable Steam cards, emoticons, badges and wallpapers.
- Discord Rich Presence. Join the game directly through Discord, invite friends to join your match, view who’s playing on which server and more!
- A package for those who wish to go the extra mile and support the development team. Gather access to splendid cosmetic overrides for officer swords, a special medal showing your loyalty to the cause, the ability to ride into battle on a white steed exclusive only to loyalists, soundtracks, artwork and more!
» Downloadable content doesn’t and never will impact gameplay.
» Holdfast: Nations At War - Loyalist Edition
Gameplay - Cavalry
- Reduced the damage dealt by trampling to enemy infantryman. This will total to a maximum of 40 damage per hit ensuring that the infantryman doesn’t die within a single strike unless the player’s health points have been previously diminished.
- Solved an issue with trampling hits occurring before the cavalrymen reaches the player.
- Cavalrymen are now required to be more accurate with their swords when striking at another player from horseback.
- Multiple maps have received iterations to balance the number of available cavalry units.
Gameplay - Command
- Infantry Officers now provide a damage reduction from firearms to those good men in the Rank & File when the ‘Charge’ order is given.
» You’ll find fewer losses occurring should you attempt to charge an entrenched enemy.
Gameplay - Carpenters
- Carpenters are now able to kill horses with a single strike when wielding a 2H Axe.
Gameplay - Support
- Players being supported with abilities from the Musician, Flagbearer and Guard classes will now be displayed in purple on the minimap.
» This serves as an indication that you’re buffing another whilst playing with these classes.
- Surgeons are now able to receive the firearm damage reduction bonus provided by Guardsman so they don’t instantly face their demise when healing a line.
- You will no longer display the melee indicator when healing another player.
- Sappers now have a dedicated chat channel to communicate in.
Gameplay - Skirmishers
- Renamed the Rifleman chat channel to Skirmishers. Light Infantry units now also have access to this channel.
Gameplay - Melee Combat
- You will now receive score and experience for blocking an enemy player’s melee strike.
Gameplay - Soldier Experience
- Experience gathered during a match contributing towards bettering your soldier’s rank, will be displayed on-screen come to this update.
Gameplay - Achievements
- Reduced the ‘Sharpe Shooter’ achievement’s kill distance requirement to 75 meters.
- Reduced the ‘Chosen man’ achievement’s kill distance requirement to 50 meters.
Gameplay - Army Siege
- Fort Christina no longer features cavalry when played on Army Siege in order to allow defenders a chance to construct defences around the perimeter of the wooden fortification.
» Increased the number of available Sappers for the defenders.
Quality of Life
- You can now toggle VoIP on and off with a singular click of a button. Press the ‘K’ key to do so as you deem it necessary.
- You now have the option to collectively mute micspammers from the Round Players ‘P’ menu.
» Administrators are provided with the function to tag someone for doing the deed.
- You will now continue to autorun when opening the Round Players ‘P’ menu. Should you find the need to mute another player, this will no longer disrupt your play.
- The Round Players ‘P’ menu now scales dynamically providing players with a cleaner more intuitive interface.
- Factions are now being randomised rather than predefined per map rotation. Maps which were specifically playable only with certain nations can now also be played by others.
- Reduced the audio volume of the main menu theme. You can now safely listen to this beautiful composition once more without worrying about your well-being.
- Prevented the message displayed upon joining a public event server from appearing after each and every time a new round starts. This will instead only become visible once upon joining the server.
- Players that disconnect from a server are now taken directly to the server browser rather than the main menu screen.
- You will no longer needlessly load the next map before being disconnected after the daily scheduled server restart ensues.
Freeroam & Cinematic Camera
- You can now assign a hotkey through the game’s settings to toggle between the cinematic and freeroam cameras.
- You’ll now find that moving the camera around using the arrow keys while in cinematic mode significantly smoother.
- Introduced a slider in the game’s options allowing you to adjust the depth of field. Perfectly capture those cinematic shots.
- Smoothened the zooming of the camera through the scroll wheel when in freecam.
- Introduced multiple advanced settings accessible through the game’s options menu in order to provide greater control over the cinematic camera.
- Server administrators are now provided with the option to input a welcome message that gets displayed in the player’s chat upon joining the server.
» Input the following command in the server configuration file: server_welcome_message MyMessage
- Server administrators are now able to limit the number of lives for the defenders on the Coastal Siege or Army Siege game modes.
» Input the following command per map rotation: max_player_respawn <no.>
- Server administrators are now able to randomise factions on all game modes.
» Input the following command per map rotation: faction_randomiser both/attacker/defender
- Server administrators are now able to log administrative actions directly on Discord through web-hooks. We’re sure that this will come in most handy when coordinating administrative tasks during events!
» Input the following commands in the server configuration file:
» » discord_webhook_warning_tag_admin <@!ID> | <@!ID>
» » discord_webhook_warning_id <webhookID>
» » discord_webhook_warning_token <webhookToken>
» » discord_webhook_banmute_tag_admin <@!ID> | <@!ID>
» » discord_webhook_banmute_id <webhookID>
» » discord_webhook_banmute_token <webhookToken>
- Server administrators are now able to define a reason for bans, kicks and mutes.
- Players kicked from a server by an administrator will now have the reason displayed.
- Server administrators can now configure pre-sets for administrator private messages. Configure these to ensure event hosts have easy access to messages they can issue to players for the most common rule breaks. They’ll surely thank you for it.
» Input the following commands per map rotation: admin_action_preset_reason <title>|<message>
- Server administrators can now use ‘CTRL + ENTER’ as a shortcut to confirm an administrative action instead of pressing the ‘Yes’ button.
- Server administrators can now set up a series of event rules that get displayed on screen when the player joins the round with a specific class. Refer to our Wiki for more information as this new function also supports rich text for greater configurability.
» Input the following command per map rotation: server_round_rule <class1>,<class2>|<message>
- Game servers now monitor changes to the muted and banned players file saving you the hassle of having to manually reload the file through rc commands each and every time a change is performed.
- Solved an issue which caused players to get stuck on map load after a server initiates a daily scheduled shutdown.
- Solved an issue where a game server could appear twice in the browser when refreshing the list.
- Solved an issue with the spyglass stretching out on 21:9 and 21:10 aspect ratios.
- Solved an issue where the ‘Sight The Barn’ achievement wasn’t being correctly awarded to the players.
- Solved an issue where the ‘Strike’ achievement wasn’t correctly tracking consecutive kills with a cannon.
- Solved an issue with the ‘Explosives Specialist’ achievement, not including kills from rocket artillery pieces.
- Solved an exception which occurred when a player joins a server directly from a friend through Steam.
- Solved an issue where players could farm experience with the carpenter class by hitting palisade walls in Fort Salettes or Camp Salamanca.
- Solved an issue with incorrect textures on one of the buildings in Desert Ruins.
- Solved an issue which caused players looking through a spyglass to continue doing so even though they just got trampled by a horse.
- Solved multiple issues with explosive barrels.
- Solved an issue which caused framerate to drop when the player was adjusting their audio.
- Solved an issue which caused players to sometimes be unable to pack a rocket launcher after it has been unpacked.
- Solved an issue which caused players to rarely get stuck on map load.
- Solved an issue where the ‘Settings’ panel would flash on the first launch.
- Solved an issue where the top bar in the Naval Assault game mode didn’t reset correctly.
- Solved an issue where the camera would rotate if the player presses the ‘C’ key whilst having the Voice ‘V’ menu open.
- Solved an issue where horses would still appear in the kill feed when stricken at even though they are unkillable when God Mode is enabled.
- Solved an issue which prevented players from spawning if a great number of spawn locations were present in a custom map.
- Solved an issue which caused players to be unable to load the smaller rocket variant if the launcher was spawned on the map through override props.
- Solved multiple exceptions that occurred on both server and client.
- Solved an issue where shrapnel from explosions was ignoring friendly fire.
Holdfast: Nations At War is finally out of Early Access! On behalf of the entire team, we would like to extend our heartfelt and sincere thanks to all of those good fellows in the community that have made this all worthwhile - It’s been a great ride.
Go forth now and charge... charge gloriously into battle! We’ll be watching the mayhem ensue from a safe distance and until next time, may good health be yours.
Once again thank you for all of your support from all of us on the Holdfast: NaW team,
- Refleax, Rycon, Dreas, Wrexial, Walki, Cameron, Jackson, Rejenorst & Harper
Anvil Game Studios