I’ve managed to replace every wall and model texture in F.A.K.K. 2. I have to confess the fact, that I’ve already finished it about two weeks ago, when this project became public on this site. Since then, I keep fixing the errors of the upscaling method and my own mistakes. Mainly transparency, alpha channel and texture detail problems. The problems and mistakes with alpha channel were fixed successfully, almost completely, by re-drawing them manually, for example: window decorations, plants, character details, and some of the cloud texture’s alpha. I try to preserve the texture’s original look as much as possible.
The texture pack weights around 2,5 gigabytes at the moment, I think the size will not increase in the future. Some of the character textures’ resolution will be pretty big compared to their in-game size. For example: the Vymish Mosquito’s original resolution was 128x128, now it’s 1024x1024. Sounds a little bit stupid, I know, but I wanted to give more detail to this flying creature, mainly because there’s a cut scene at the first part of the game, where the player can observe them closely for a few seconds. I’ve tested the modified game on my old laptop too, just to check there’s any drop in performance. I have a 10 year old HP ProBook 4520s which came with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 530v GPU. The retextured game runs just fine at 60fps without a problem.
I created a new comparison video about the mod, you can watch it here:
The next things I will try to fix are the npc/player textures and the sprites. Some of the sprites are a little bit nasty. If I change their resolution, they appear larger in the game too, for example: muzzle flashes, fire and some other things. The resized muzzle flash of the pistol and uzis were ridiculously big, it made me laugh. I hope I can find some fix for things like this, time will tell.
I will upload more stuff in the future that you can check out. Until then, if you interested in this texture mod, follow it so you will be informed about the new updates.
Have a nice day!