Hi all! As I write this, I'm incredibly close to inviting the first group of testers. Or the first half, to be precise, because I've decided to split the group into two to make sure the servers won't break because 35 people try to log in at the same time - the second half will be invited a day later. Anyway, I've got two working servers up at the moment ('Testserver1' and 'Testserver2'), and a third one that will jump in when needed ('Testserver4'). I'm doing some last preparations at the moment, and then it will begin! Exciting times!
For those of you grumbling about the fact that 'soon' still isn't 'now', I'm happy to say that I've been quite busy adding handy tools to both the server and the client - so you know I'm not wasting time. Some examples of new features included in the last patch:
- I've added a crashlog. Stupid that I didn't think about this earlier! Many times the game crashed we weren't able to find out the cause because the game closed itself before we could read the error message, and other times the poor server admins had to printscreen the error message and upload the picture so I could fix it (in particular HeroxZ, thanks!). That's all a lot easier now.
- I've added blueprints for ladders. People complained the ladder recipe was too hard to remember, and I can't deny it. So now there's a blueprint as well.
- You now have to use ALT-ENTER instead of F to switch to fullscreen-mode. I use my left hand to move the mouse, and thus the arrow keys to move the player, so I never noticed it, but apparently the WASD-users accidently switched between full screen and windowed mode multiple times per game.
- An idea by a friend of mine: server suggestions are now clickable.
- I've added server configurations, so server admins have some more control over their servers. The most important and already working thing is the /ban command, which kicks a player from the server and adds him to server_bans.txt, which prevents him from logging in again.
People who beat me
Finally, because from next post on there will be people playing the game, I'm going to start a recurring section called 'People who beat me', where I'll list the names of -you guessed it- people who beat me in a duel since the last post. Throughout the week I'll visit some random servers, and you are free to challenge me if you want your name on the list. But be warned - I know how to build a good gun quickly ;).