The project is a HD texture mod for the first part of the game series Thief: The Dark Project / Thief Gold.
This is the "Ultimate Difficulty Mod" for the T1 HD Mod. It's only for version 1.2! Requires a full installation of 1.2!
This is the "Ultimate Difficulty Mod" for the T1 HD Mod. It's only for version 1.2!
The original T1 HD mod gamesys v1.2 is also included. Maybe someone accidentally overwrites the file without a backup...
There is also a "Ultimate Difficulty Mod (normal AI speed)" gamesys. This means that the AI moving speed is normal here (original settings).
To play with the custom gamesys, your simplest option is to backup your old dark.gam (file path \HDMOD\dark.gam) and replace it with the new one.
Original excerpt from the ReadMe file by Northon:
* A lone guard who is alerted and makes a confirmed sighting of Garrett or a body, searches for him, and gives up, will run to alert others instead of returning to his regular patrol. After that however, he will resume his patrol.
* The AI vision cones have been completely redesigned to given them better distance vision, a more accurate loss of acuity over distance, and to eliminate Garretts ability to use leaning tricks to blackjack guards while alerted.
* I have heavily modified the dynamics of noise creation as a result of Garretts footsteps. Running on wood and cobblestone now has the potential to alert guards within a few meters. This means you will have to *walk* up behind them for a successful blackjack. Also, creeping on marble, metal, or gravel is actually *quieter* and no longer alerts guards thus eliminating the need to tap the forward key and creep-crouch.
* Garrett is now more visible to AIs as the visgem will indicate. To offset this new disadvantage, I have increased the bonus Garrett receives for crouching and sticking close to walls.
* Bodies are now MUCH harder to hide. Forget about tossing your victim in a shadowy spot on a well patrolled hall. Only two things may effectively hide a body now: a physical barrier, or an area of nearly absolute darkness.
* The AI have been made faster, especially zombies (who are now a real threat to an experienced player!)
* Residual alertness on guards who have been raised to level 3 now increases their perceptiveness by a considerable margin.
* Yelling made by guards during combat or searching travels further and is heard more easily by other guards.
* Blackjacking someone makes a minor sound disturbance.
* A collapsing body makes a minor sound disturbance. (both of these are not loud enough to alert anyone but simply attract their attention if already alerted or perhaps illicit a "Who's their?"..."Musta been rats" response )
To play with the custom gamesys, your simplest option is to backup your old dark.gam and replace it with the new one. Load up Thief and be prepared to find a whole new challenge awaiting you in the missions you have grown to love.
To restore your original Thief version, simply copy the DARK.GAM file you backed up back into the Thief directory.
Tips for playing with the new difficulty:
-Never try to run up behind a guard to blackjack them (unless they are the dimwitted ones that work for Bafford) Your default mode of travel should probably be walking from now on.
-Be much more prudent when hiding bodies.
-Take more time to consider your course of action and plan from the shadows.
-Blackjacking is now a more risky tactic and should be used sparingly.
-Plan your escape tactics ahead of time as the AIs won’t be quite so easy to evade anymore.
-Be prepared to resort to less-conventional tactics to overcome a situation. Spots that were possible to sneak through on expert will be much harder if not impossible with this gamesys.
-If guards are nearby, you may be forced to creep while walking upstairs to remain unheard. This is because the noise Garrett makes is a measure of his total speed, not what movement mode you are using.