Spirit of Half-Life (SoHL) is a modified game engine for Half-Life 1 modders that includes many new things not seen in the original Half-Life engine by Valve. This includes reflections, mirrors better lighting, weather like moving clouds, rain, snow, and fog. Physics capabilities like picking up objects and dropping them, or when some thing explodes objects go flying off in the direction.
So, allow me to introduce to you my latest result of development - spirit 1.9. Honestly talking - I didn't plan to do it, but at some point thambs asked me to make a door in tracktrain for his mod, something else later on, and in the end enough features gathered for straight up new version. And what version it is! This is probably the most stable and glitch-free spirit version of all you have ever seen. Gigantic work was done in complatibility with older versions and cleaning out inherently buggy code that appeared in them since version 1.4 from stupid arrangemoders and their imperialistic brothers-in-slurp. Since I've got no time left for documentation and fgd, I'll write in detail right in this thread what's new in this spirit, what was fixed or removed. !!! Spirit system of scripted sequences was put back in place. This made completing Half-Life impossible, but on opposide all the demos of Spirit itself started working properly.
1. Files: pak0.pak contains files necessary for correct work of Spirit itself and cannot be alienated without corresponding code edit. pak1.pak contains demo maps and examples. Map sources are in spirit\devkit\map sources. Big size of release is exactly caused by big number of demo maps.
2. Spirit 1.9 is compatible with all the demo maps since Spirit 1.0.
All these demo maps are in release archive and you can personally test them and be convinced that all is right. Addendum: gruntbattledemo only works right with fps_max 50 and less.
This is not a bug of GoldSource, Xash, or Spirit itself. Most likely this is mapper mistake in time of calling a certain sequence.
3. Gigantic number of errors was fixed, ones whose fixing nobody bothered himself with since as long as Spirit 1.0. For example, laser rays on gatlinggundemo disappearing after save-restore, crash on migrainedemo map, crashes after save-restore on locusdemo and a bunch of similar flubs. Including engine's nasty freeze in attempt of activating "storm" button on spiritdemo (a special thanks for this bug goes to SysOp, Confused and others of our dear fools).
4. renderfx reflection was put back in place for backwards compatibility with older Spirit versions. From now on shinyfloordemo is working correctly. This fix didn't affect mirror workability in any way.
5. Spirit's script sequence system was put back in place.
This made it impossible to play Spirit on HL, but on a brighter side all the script demos of Spirit itself have began working as they should.
6. Implemented minor enchancements and fixes of my own code, in particular some improvements of Xash Weapon System, and weapon_cycler was rewritten that is now appear as the full value generic.
Just specify in his field a path to w_, p_ or v_ model as he'll load all three of them on his own and then pretend to be a quite real weapon, that, even if can't shoot, but nevertheless can play sequences specified in deploy, holster, primary, secondary fields accordingly. To take cycler away from player, new field "generic" appeared in entity player_weaponstrip, this field can be 0 and 1. 0 - take away, 1 - keep.
7. New entity to control train: train_setspeed. Allows you to smoothly increase or slow down speed of tracktrain, also performs reversive movement.
8. What many HL1 mappers were dreaming about for so long - func_traindoor. Dedicated entity, that appears to be door for tracktrain and, unlike objects attached with usual "movewith", this one is guaranteed to not get behind the train, will pass to the next level with it and will open moving foward and right (or back and left). Example of usage of func_traindoor and train_setspeed you can look up on new demo map tramtutor.
9. New mp3 player! Unlike old one, can play mp3, wma, xm, it, ogg and somethin' else. Also allows to load music directly from paks and support looped tracks (spawnflag 2) for already mundane ambient_fmodstream.
10. This Spirit was thoroughly tested not only with GoldSrc but also with Xash3D in question of correct work.
P.S. Since Spirit thing after release of this version is closed for me once and for all, no need of offering me to fix or add something. If you'll encounter any bug that still managed to hide from me, I can only make a sympathetic stance and understanding look (for free).