Same drill as usual. The year is nearing to an end, so here is a freshly baked summary post for you. Read on and learn about all the interesting things that happened in the MTA community in 2021.
2021 in Recap
- Early this year, we have restructured our Moderation team a bit by adding the Specializations divisions (such as: Management, Tech and Infrastructure, Social Media). The aim of this was to refine extra talents of our Moderators and put them to a better use.
- As one of the results of that, the Management division has introduced a new way for more-involved-but-not-quite-there-yet MTA supporters to contribute - a Helper role. Curious about what it is? Check out the post by Tut.
- At the end of July, our developer and designer, Patrik, has revived the live streaming idea a bit and played some MTA:SA on our Twitch channel. He focused on visiting various servers ran by the community. In case you have missed it, you can check the stream capture here:
- There were a few recurring requests that you guys have kept asking us about over the years. One of them was to release the mobile version of MTA:SA - apologies, but unfortunately that is still not going to happen :P But another request was to make it possible to buy some official MTA merchandise. And guess what - we have listened to you on that one! Patrik has prepared some neat designs and we have put them for sale - although please keep in mind, we do not make any profits of these sales. Want to see the goods? Check them out here: Multitheftauto.myspreadshop.net
- Not that long ago, in early October, we have released Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas 1.5.9. This release was focused on wrapping up the contributions made to the mod so far and put them in a single package for your convenience.
- Same month, Rockstar Games has announced an upcoming release of "Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition", a remake/remaster of the original 3D era GTA trilogy (GTA3, GTA:VC and GTA:SA). Not only was it a sudden announcement, but also the release was coming really soon.
- The remastered games were released, but received mixed reactions from gamers and reviewers. Technical-wise, they are a feat, as games were remade in a different and well-estabilished game engine and are available for multiple platforms. Sadly, the same could not be said about the actual quality of these games as it was inconsistent. Hopefully, the improvements planned by Rockstar will bring them up to the quality they deserve.
It is important to note that MTA mods (GTA3:MTA, MTA:VC and MTA:SA) do not work with the remastered games from the GTA: The Trilogy.
We currently have no plans of making them compatible, as it would require an insane amount of effort, considering the technical differences between the original games and their remastered equivalents.
- Lately, our Development and Infrastructure divisions have been working on improving the reliability and performance of our web services. You may have noticed that for instance, our forums have been running faster - it is all a result of CiBeR's hard work.
- One of our distinguished community members, Haxardous, has prepared a list of interesting MTA:SA servers. If you are looking for a new MTA:SA server to play on, then you might want to check out one of his recommendations. You can find them here.
- ModDB has recently featured all of the mods that won the "Mod of the Year" award in the last 20 years. We had won this award ten years ago, so naturally we are on the list too!
A bunch of interesting MTA:SA-related YouTube videos from this year
[DM] NikotiN ft. Lost ft. Driver ft. SKooD - Enormous Cataclysm - video by CHRS / map by Nikotin, Lost, Driver and SKooD
MTA-SA: Welcome to San Andreas Trailer (WTSA) #1 by ヌルぽ / Nurupo
#MTA:SA: ~ TACTICS / STEALTH by notzz & the_bestteam
Grafuroam drift handling update by Unity
SHORT ONE | NON-STOP MTA DAYZ by BuczU
YouTube in Car - Interactive Dashboard (MTA:SA) by Chemical Creations
MTASA Dangerous Experiments by Toliak Purple
Current player counts and version fragmentation statistics
- Recent peak number of concurrent unique players: 37 487 players on 2021.12.19 (at 19.13 GMT)
- Highest recorded number of concurrent unique players: 52 098 players on 2020.04.02 (at 18.00 GMT)
- Recent number of daily unique players: 148 793 players on 2021.12.19 (Sunday)
- Highest recorded number of daily unique players: 185 818 players on 2018.02.03 (Saturday)
- Recent number of monthly unique players: 626 163 players on November, 2021
- Highest recorded number of monthly unique players: 805 903 players on January, 2018
MTA:SA version or series - Percentage of players using that version or series as of 25th of December, 2021
- 1.6.0 (alpha; custom) - 0.2%
- 1.5.9 - 97.6%
- 1.5.8 - 1.9%
- 1.5.7 (and older) - 0.2%
- 1.4.x + 1.3.x - 0.1%
Still looking good.
On a side note, our community on Discord keeps growing. We went from 20k users last year to nearly 40k this year. Our presence on social media (Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, Facebook and Reddit) is improving too - thanks to work done by Patrik and the Social Media division.
Enjoy the holidays and hope to see you back in the next year!
-- MTA Team