The L.U.R.K. team wants to provide the best possible experience from Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, we don't plan to skew the scope of this game, because I, like many others, fell in love with the game because of the story, the realistic gameplay, and the atmosphere. I plan to preserve and improve on that concept to the best of my abilities, and our team has vowed to do so as well. Which is why we took it upon ourselves to provide that experience. We want to fulfill a niche that's otherwise unfulfilled in the modding community. We want to bring as many features to Stalker without damaging or changing the original theme of the game. While improving upon that concept with features that were dropped off the development cycle from GSC, such as stealth AI, and a strong foundation for balance, as well as dynamic A-Life, and an unprecedented visual presentation that no other Stalker Overhaul can touch.

Forum Thread
Uninstalled LURK 1.1 within hours (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl : Mods : L.U.R.K. : Forum : Suggestions : Uninstalled LURK 1.1 within hours) Locked
Thread Options
Mar 30 2012 Anchor

Got a PB9 from a crate and proceeded to completely wipe out the military roadblock towards the start of the game. I re-did this several times to screw with the AI. What grants such invisibility? The 2 foot high thin hedges around the base of most trees in the area. That someone with cataracts could see a figure hiding in. Even if I move about and make a constant rustling. Even if I'm IN FRONT OF THE TREE, NOT BEHIND IT. Even if they WATCHED AND FIRED AT ME SPRINTING INTO IT. I remember movement noise giving me away much more readily. I was hoping the stealth factor this mod advertised was a little more matured than silencer=invisible (*psst* silencers IRL aren't that great). I get the feeling the devs actually believe things like that a knife is an insta-silent-kill weapon. The "stealth" in this is so game-breakingly easy its, well, game breaking.
Also, was it -5% or -10% ballistics for a silencer? It's WAY more than that. You need subsonic rounds. As in an ENTIRELY different ammo type. If you're going to add in hollowpoints, you might as well add subsonic. Rare and expensive sub-sonic rounds for silencers might actually balance this somewhat.

The AI will proceed to SLOWLY approach and SLOWLY encircle the SLOWLY suspected SLOWLY hiding SLOOOOOOW place when SLOW under SLOOOOW fire SLOW from a SLOW hidden SLOW assailant WHILE COMPLETELY EXPOSED THE ENTIRE TIME. This is how I picked them all off. They practically don't move while intentionally moving out of cover towards me, like they're zombies or something. Jesus. I airsoft and paintball, the first thing to do is pepper the suspected bushes (IE first thing AI should do is suppress marked hiding spots, IE nearby bushes and trees) and quickly flank (IE not walk like they're on thin ice) the area the shots came from moving from cover to cover (IE not walking out on the open road towards the direction of a hidden marksman) and shoot at any movement from suspected hiding spots (IE reloading etc where I shift my figure/silhouette should give me away). As it is, when the AI is under fire from a stealthy assailant INTENTIONALLY MAKE THEMSELVES EASIER TO KILL.
I'm sure the devs put a TON of work into tweaking AI. Well, it still needs tweaking. Can you at least get them to suppress marked (pre-designated) hiding spots? IE the painfully obvious ones? And flank faster?

The main (?) intent of the mod, making stealth easier- I mean making the game stealthier - or something, aside:
This is Stalker. Stalker has artifacts that grant practically magical effects. Stalkers will KILL each other to gain these things because they are as USEFUL as they are valuable. WHY THE HELL ARE ARTIFACT EFFECTS DISABLED?
In vanilla they were too powerful? So, instead of re-balancing things, you just cut them completely from the game? Who the hell is developing this mod, Bethesda? Was it that hard to cut the effects in half? Reduce the number of artifact slots? Tie artifact slots into armor types a-la-CoP?

Other minor things are obnoxious. The post-processing effects are a bit overkill, IE the bloom/blur whatnot makes everything look like my character is on drugs 24/7. Shouldn't look like everything is being run by some kid who just got a copy of photoshop. A sudden drop in blood pressure shouldn't tinge your vision red, that's a call-of-hollywood trope, though maybe a sudden increase in blood pressure. Severe sudden pain combined with a sudden drop in blood pressure should make you see sudden bright vibrant flashes with color and start to black out. I miss blowouts, specifically the OH-SHIT drop everything and run, but yes they are hard to implement.

Mind you I know I'm yelling at a brick wall. And mind you I've actually listed constructive suggestions to remedy the grievances I listed. Here, I'll even list what I did like just to appease you:
New weapons are cool and a much needed addition to the original game (even if some of the stats are questionable).
Menus and item icons look cleaner.
Specifically the one for sprinting, the darkened edges of vision, is good.
No sleeping bag I actually agree with. You'd get eaten 99% of the places it allows you to sleep.

Oct 26 2012 Anchor

Even though this was posted almost a year ago, I was lol'ing at the first part because I did the exact same thing, on Master difficulty no less. The only reason I did it was 'cause I was doing the quest for Wolf where you go and try to own the two boars over there. Some military bastard spotted me from across the universe, so naturally I get attacked by every single person from the outpost. Got my brains blown out the first time, loaded up a quicksave and quickly figured out that bushes are overpowered. They just walk slowly towards your position going -2 mph and just bend over for you.

It's funny, cuz this works in OL 2.2 as well.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.