Don't forget to check out the Patreon page for regular updates! ||| Status: Released - check IndieDB for download link ||| Hedon is an entirely original game (running on GZDoom Engine) designed by me (broadly known online as "Zan"), throughout the years, first as a concept/fantasy world, and thanks to the Doom modding community - an actual thing in the works. I'm an artist/fresh game dev who aims to go for as much original content as I can, including graphics (which I entirely draw from scratch in Photoshop), level design, coding, story, sound effects etc. in order to create a whole new game which tries to revive the long lost art of FPS design.
Unzip & Play. Click on the .exe to launch the game.
How to play:
Download the file, unzip and run the launcher .exe file.
If you have a non Windows 64 bit OS, then read the instructions included in the download.
General Gameplay Update for 0.5.a (New maps are still restricted to Patreon). I've decided to release this to clear some issues many people have had so far, and finally bring the standalone version of the game up.
- Removed freedoom.wad, thus legally converting Hedon from a Doom mod to a completely original and standalone game;
- Updated Patreon gallery and credits; Updated the menu screen to a 3D version of it.
- Removed placeholder sounds, and replaced them with Creative Commons & original work (will obviously not be as good as the previous ones I had from Thief/Blood, but I'm still looking for your opinions so I can improve).
- Intermission screen text narration changed to 3rd person from 2nd person perspective.
- New mechanic: you can grab and move live Sentry Turrets around, essentially giving combat a new, more tactical edge, since you can use them more effectively to cover you/hold certain points.
- Many balance adjustments. Cerberi have less HP, Initiates can be killed in one Fragfire shot (assuming you hit with all the pellets), spike throwing Cultists have slower reaction time and their spikes are more visible. All monsters have longer times to telegraph their attacks. Waiting on feedback :^)
- Melee has been brushed up. Stealth killable monsters are easier to be surprised with Fist attacks, the Axe now has a cleave effect and slightly wider hitbox and longer reach.
- Consumable items and health potions have improved visibility. Changed the color of the Armor Amulet on the HUD to display your current armor tier (dark yellow/bright yellow/orange/red).
- Zan has finally received movement and attack animations. Mirrors are back too.
- Gore effects can now be turned off from display options.
- Minor bug fixes and adjustments to all the maps. Few new secret areas have been added.
- Starting level now has a secret spot that allows players to skip the first part and blaze straight towards the forest. To access this place, you must press one of the wall crystal formations, and the area will become reachable (you need to pass through a texture to get in and it's not shown on map). Both the crystal and this area are in the same cave.
That's it for the most part, thanks a lot for supporting Hedon so far, I'm currently working on Map07, so we're getting closer and closer to a serious release.