Alpha 8.70 rolls up all the changes from the last 10 alpha tests, including all the Chaos player classes and two Chaos maps. Version 8.70 adds more chaos props, new kill icons, further improves ex_bunker and fixes bugs related to objective markers and bullet holes.
After 10 alpha versions it's good to clear the decks and put out a fresh install, just to make sure everyone is playing with 100% the same content and has not missed a patch. That is why there is no patch for this version, just full installs. This version is intended to install to the sourcemods/ex folder where Beta versions are normally installed to, rather then sourcemods/ex_alpha as is usual with alphas.
Install the Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer
- Navigate to the "Tools" section on your Steam games "Library"
- Install the "Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer"
- Run the Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer at least once.
- You can exit once the menu has finished loading.
Install the latest Exterminatus Alpha
- If you already have a copy of the EX *Beta*, delete it.
- Run the alpha installer and follow it's instructions.
- Restart Steam. You should now see the new Exterminatus Alpha listed in your library.
This is the first full install of EX to feature all the Chaos classes. All the classes have bespoke player model in this version. There is more we can and do want to do with the chaos player models, consider these to be work in progress.
Even with the chaos player models done, they are still using identical weapons to the loyalist space marines. Long time contributor Clay_More (who you may know as the creator of the biovore), has gone a long way to building an arsenal of chaos weapon models. However all those weapons still need, rigging texturing, scripting and coding into the mod.
Since the last alpha version (8.69) was released the following changes have been made to Exterminatus:
- New Anti-tank Barricade props by Clay_More.
- New Chaos Star prop (Giant, Large and regular sizes) by Wikkyd.
- New kill icon for the Barbed Strangler weapon.
- Improved the basic chaos chest texture.
- Made a font version of the Missile Launcher's kill icon.
- Enhanced more of the lighting in EX bunker.
- Added a loading screen and Thumbnail image for Bunker.
- Tweaked how Carnifex armour handles damage from the Tarantula.
- Dontask4470 has contributed a lot of updates to player and weapon sounds.
- Bullet holes are back!
- Tyranid objectives show the correct icon.
- Team menu shows the correct non-imperial team after switching maps.
With all the classes and player models in Chaos may look complete, but adding chaos weaponry and further refining the chaos player models are planned to be the focus of the next set of EX alphas. The space marine scout class has not been forgotten about, it's still lacking a critical asset and I (ChromeAngel) have more enthusiasm for Chaos. I will get around to working on the scout eventually.
WhiteLighningTwister, who has contributed a number of custom, experimental new maps since Beta 8.60 (ex_garage, ex_streets, ex_gardens) has more ideas to try out, I hope some will catch on as well as the his chaos favourite, ex_bunker. DontAsk4470 continues to work on sound effects and improving his Source map making skills.
I have been approached by a coder offering to get EX running on Linux. I am somewhat cautious about sharing the EX Source code i've been building up for the last decade. It would certainly make it cheaper to host dedicated servers if EX ran on Linux. Is there any appetite in the EX community for a Linux version?