17 maps episode for Duke Nukem 3D. 15 mappers, 1 building, 17 floors. A duke4 community episode. Eduke32 sourceport required. RELEASED ! Check the download section!
A 17 maps episode for Duke Nukem 3D by the Duke4 community. Requires (free) EDuke32 sourceport to run. Check dukehard.txt for Installation instructions, play information, FAQ and credits.
Installation / How to play :
1) Download and install the LATEST version of (free sourceport) EDuke32*.
2) Extract the content of the Duke Hard 7z into your EDuke32 folder.
This will create a new folder called "dukehard" in your EDuke32 folder.
3) Copy-paste the file "DUKE3D.GRP"** of your copy of Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition into the root folder of EDuke32 (NOT in the "dukehard" folder).
If you have the Steam or GOG version of Duke Nukem 3D installed on your computer, you don't need to do this. EDuke32 will automatically use the .grp file from those versions.
4) Launch EDuke32, and in the STARTUP WINDOW*** of EDuke32, under "CUSTOM GAME CONTENT DIRECTORY", choose "dukehard".
In that same startup window, make sure "Polymer" is unticked.
Press start and enjoy!
**The file "DUKE3D.grp" is what contains of all the data of Duke Nukem 3D, it pretty much IS the game which is why it is required. That file is also required to play the original game (or any other map, episode, mod, etc) in any sourceport.
*** If the startup window doesn't show up when launching EDuke32, you'll have to re-enable it : in game -> options -> game setup -> "Show window at start: YES" (first line under game setup)
If an issue shows up, try reinstalling everything in a new clean folder to avoid conflicts with another mod/map you may have already installed in your EDuke32 folder; while making sure to use the LATEST version of EDuke32. If that doesn't work, post the content of your log file and we'll help you.
Important play information (MUST READ!)
- This episode is intended as a VANILLA-like experience (as vanilla as EDuke32 can be), which means :
* This episode is NOT compatible with the High-Resolution Pack. If you play with the HRP, you can expect half of the visuals rendering in a glitchy way.
* This episode is NOT compatible with gameplay mods. Play this episode with classic DN3D gameplay.
* This episode is NOT compatible with Polymer. Make sure Polymer is turned off :
(Make sure it is unticked at the top-right of the startup windows of EDuke32; or in the in-game options, choose a video mode that is NOT Polymer.)
(this is starting to sound like "NO FUN ALLOWED" but trust me, there is plenty of fun to be had if you like classic Duke3D)
- You will lose all your weapons and items at the start of each map. This decision was taken to ensure proper balance throughout the entire episode, as every map was built individually.
Indeed, with a such long episode (17maps), the player would most likely end up with way too many weapons, ammo and items after just a few maps, if we didn't use this system.
What does this mean for the player?
* Don't worry! We've provided enough weapons, ammo and health packs in each map ! (As long as you pay attention, look around for supplies, and don't rush like a madman)
* You should use all the weapons at your disposal within each map, rather than 'saving it in case you need it more in later maps'
* If you die and your last save is in a previous map, do not load that save. Press "N" and you'll start the current map over. You'll lose less progress.
- The episode supports two difficulty settings : Let's Rock (skill#2: Normal) and Come Get Some (skill#3: Hard); which are the 2 difficulty settings 99% of players still use.
A few maps (though not many) have also taken into account Piece Of Cake (skill#1) and Damn I'm Good (skill#4).
Only experienced Dukers should try Come Get Some on a first playthrough. Use Let's Rock otherwise.
Damn I'm Good isn't recommended on a first playthrough, try it at your own risk!
- To unlock the Randomizer mode (which let's you replay the episode with a different randomized map order each time you start it) and the Map Select screen ("Usermap"), you need to beat the episode on Come Get Some without cheating.
- This episode will NOT run in anything other than EDuke32 (DOS Duke, Jonof, xDuke, Rancidmeat, Megaton, etc) . Most levels can NOT work if played individually in anything other than EDuke32, either.
Updated download to v1.2 :
- Some con changes to match EDuke32's evolution as well as several map fixes.
Check readme file for full changelog.