Thrace is by far the most obscure faction in Rome Total War. It seems like the devs had originally planned for an Illyrian faction when at the last minute, they decided to make Thrace instead. Why? Every faction in this game that is non roman had a significant war or series of wars against Rome. Thrace had some minor altercations it seems. I was so perplexed by the idea of this faction that I almost turned them into Illyria. However, this is a vanilla enhancement mod that is supposed to add some historical flavor, not a realism mod.. so I left them in, and made them as interesting as possible!
Thrace is a weird faction to mod in game terms as well. They are 'greek' in culture but historically they seemed to be a mix of Greek and Barbarian. The engine doesn't allow us to do much with that, and I didn't want them to seem 'barbarian' so I kept them as Greek, but made their units wild and fearsome. This faction is extremely unique compared to some of the others, and they should be a lot of fun to play with!
Here is a list of all the features in V7:
- Complete Overhaul of Thracian Roster
- New Feature: Culture. This is based off the BI religion feature and heavily influenced by XGM
- Thracian 'Faction Destroyed' video now properly appears
- Two new music tracks added to non roman and non barbarian campaigns. They are the Greek and Eastern intro tracks
- Mod now runs with -noalexander. This enables intro videos to run again, so make sure you put that in your target line or the mod won't work!
- Thrace has an exclusive Mercenary Unit to recruit in it's homelands: Bastarnae
- All sprites are corrected, so there shouldn't be any missing anymore.
The Thracian Roster is large and diverse, a far cry from the vanilla faction that seemed so bare. Check it out!
The Thracian Army in Detail:
Tier 1: Peasants
Tier 2: Hillmen
Tier 1: Swordsmen & Spearmen
Tier 2: Thracian Infantry & Thracian Spearmen
Tier 3: Veteran Infantry & Pikemen
Tier 4: Thracian Heavy Infantry & Royal Pikemen
Tier 5: Thracian Noble Infantry & Noble Falxmen
Tier 1: Peltasts & Slingers
Tier 2: Archers and Thracian Peltasts
Tier 3: Heavy Peltasts & Ballistas
Tier 4: Noble Peltasts & Onagers
Tier 1: Militia Cavalry & Thracian Lancers
Tier 2: Thracian Cavalry
Tier 3: Thracian Noble Cavalry
Tier 4: Thracian Heavy Cavalry
Thracian Armored General
This was one of the most fun rosters to make, and it should make for a very interesting campaign. As a player, you have multiple strategies to choose from. There are strong infantry and skirmishers as well as cavalry. There are also pikemen, so a smart general will use his selection wisely!
- Lanjane for amazing unit cards and some model/texture edits as well as his own creations
- BHL_20 for his awesome work on culture. He gave it his own flavor, and it fits in perfectly!
- kirilakristi for analysis on Thracian Roster
- Mausolos for letting me not forget about the Bastarnae
- crazyroman for testing
- XGM for Noble Falxmen Model & Culture idea
- ME mod for some models & textures
- Barbarians Revenge Mod for some models and textures
- Rise of Empire mod for some models and textures
- webbird for Thracian face skin
- Everyone who's following and supporting this mod on moddb, Exilian and TWC
- Everyone on Slack who keeps the community alive
Finally, thank you all for downloading and making this mod happen!