Quake Wrapper - it's technically a mod for Xash3D Engine, which uses Xash3D Engine as a shell to launch original Quake game and even its' mods. Gameplay remains unchanged, but game interface and controls are more user friendly (mouse is fully supported, graphics is 32-bit, modern screen resolutions are supported etc.).
It's an updated release of Quake Wrapper (QWrap) on ModDB. QWrap v0.6 (revision 1) uses Xash3D Engine v0.99 (build 4281 is included) to launch Quake game and its' mods. Quake itself is not included, you have to buy a copy of the game (from Steam, for example) to start using it with QWrap.
How to use QWrap:
1. Create a new folder named "Quake" anywhere, e. g. "C:\Games\Quake".
2. Extract there the contents of QWrap_v0.6_rev.1.7z (it's a 7-Zip archive file type).
3. Copy PAK0.PAK & PAK1.PAK files from "ID1" subfolder of your original Quake installation directory to "ID1" subfolder created after extracting of QWrap's files.
4. Start the game using QWrap's quake.exe application.
Quake mods installing for QWrap is very simple - just copy a mod's folder to the main QWrap's directory you've created. You can use "Options" menu to choose any installed mod from the list (instead of using command line). Console now works in QWrap automatically. Current version of QWrap should support any of existing mods for original Quake Engine (but not all of them tested in practice, so no real warranties), except those which were intended to work exclusively with forked engines like FTE or DarkPlaces (Nexuiz and such). Famous Arcane Dimensions is fully supported also!
Revision 1 is caused by the latest update of Xash3D, but few things were changed in QWrap itself:
- fixed the parsing of temporary entities in Nehahra
- fixed the parsing of gameplay modes (deathmatch, coop)