You are a God! You are master and ruler of a loyal nation. You have unimaginable powers at your disposal. You have claimed this world as yours. But there are others who stand in your way. You must defeat and destroy these pretenders. Only then can you ascend to godhood and become the new Pantokrator. When you start the game you decide what kind of god you are and how your DOMINION affects your lands and followers. It is an expression of your divine might and the faith of your followers. If your dominion dies, so do you. Your dominion also inspires your sacred warriors and gives them powers derived from your dominion. In order to win and become the one true god you have to defeat your enemies one of three different ways: conquer their lands, extinguish their dominion or claim the Thrones of Ascension. Release version and manual is available now. Manual can be downloaded from Illwinter's web page.

Forum Thread
Dominions 4 Database (Games : Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension : Forum : The Council of Sages - Strategy Guides : Dominions 4 Database) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Nov 13 2013 Anchor

This thread marks the first release of the Dominions 4 Database, current to version 4.03, which is being beta tested at the moment.

Dominions veterans already know what to expect, but for those unfamiliar with previous versions, a short introduction is in order.

The Dominion 4 Database, or Dom4 DB for short, is a document that contains lists of almost everything in the game that I have managed to delve into. Its origins go back to the time of Dominions 2 and it has always been intended as a tool for mapmakers and modders, who need the id numbers and other stats in an readily accessible format to make their work easier.

Despite its name, the Dom4 DB is not a real database, but a spreadsheet with many tabs for listing things. The full version emulates certain real database features and the document could be converted to an actual relational database with relatively little trouble.

You can download the document from here. My ISP terminates all consumer web hosting services at the end of the year and llamabeast has graciously allocated me space to host my Dominions related files on the llamaserver. Therefore the place you will find all of my Dominions related files in the future is Llamaserver.net/edi/ (categorized by game version and file type) as soon as I manage to migrate everything over.

Thank you, llamabeast! :)

The Dom4 DB contains pages for

• Weapons
  • Armor
  • Units
  • Poptypes
  • Forts
  • Magic Sites
  • Spells (up to date for 4.01, but NOT 4.03 since I need help with this part)
  • Magic Items (a few are missing)
  • Nation list
  • Army lists by nation
  • Independent units of all types (quickref list)
  • Sound effects
  • Bitmasks for magic paths and magic sites
  • Base data tables for units, weapons and armor that are used to produce the display pages
  • Glossary to explain what everything means
  • List of credits and notes about important things

The document uses color coding in various formats to improve its readability, with the fill color for cells indicating what kind of data that variable contains and colored text to denote other things. You will see this most notably on the spell page.

The Dom4 DB was produced using Open Office Calc. The zip file contains four files:

• Full version of the DB (in .ods format)
  • Static version of the DB (in .ods and .xls format)
  • Release notes (a copy of the credits page as a text file)

WARNING!

The full version of the Dom4 DB is not a document to be opened lightly. It is over 8 MB in size and because the actual display of full in-game stats are produced with massive, complex VLOOKUP functions that reference very large arrays, it requires a lot of system resources. Just opening the document will hog over 1.3 GB of system memory and on a modern computer with a Core i7 processor and 16 GB of system memory, it takes over three full minutes to open. If you try to do major alterations to the base tables, particularly units_base, such as adding or removing columns, you must first delete everything but the first unit row from the display page. If you do not, the only results you will get is crashing Open Office.

For almost any purpose that you need the actual data in the document, the static version should be sufficient. The full version is convenient if you wish to produce a version for a large balance mod. I don't mind it being used for that, but any distribution of such altered versions must give me credit for the original document and the formulas.

NOTES

Please read the release notes first (or the credits page on the static version).

Feedback on the database is always welcome. If you find errors in the document (and they exist, it is impossible to avoid them in a project of this scope), please report them and I will endeavor to fix them in the next version. If you see someone else has already reported something, please don't make a duplicate report.

I hope you enjoy the Dom4 DB and find it helpful, whether for modding, mapmaking or just as a general reference document. Though if the latter, many of Bruce's documents are better suited to the casual user.

Nov 13 2013 Anchor

:wub:

Nov 13 2013 Anchor

Thanks!

Nov 13 2013 Anchor

Thank Edi, very useful.

Any chance we get an online version like dom3?

Edited by: varsovie_pat

Nov 13 2013 Anchor

Nov 13 2013 Anchor

varsovie_pat wrote: Thank Edi, very useful.

Any chance we get an online version like dom3?

You're welcome. For online tools, such as converting this to something similar to the Dom3 Mod Inspector, those are projects I am not equipped to do. Perhaps other community members can use the DB to produce something like that. I know Wolfsbane over at Sombre's forum already asked about it. I'm not opposed to anyone doing something like that, since it would be useful, but I don't have the skills to pull it off myself.

Pymous
Pymous Mad Scientist
Nov 13 2013 Anchor

Fantastic job!
Thank you so much and hopefully some crazy dude will one day make an online version (like dom3inspector) consultable database :D

Thank you again!

--

My dominons 4 maps:
- Atha Avin (81+10) (Wraparound)
- Biddyn (84+9) (Wraparound)
- Peliwyr (127+18) (Wraparound)

Nov 13 2013 Anchor

Impressive, Edi.
Thank you!

Nov 14 2013 Anchor

I know the intro page for Dominions 4 says "You are a God..."

However, I'd like to amend that by personally praising Illwinter and their confederates and announcing that You guys are the real Gods!!!!

Nov 14 2013 Anchor

YAY EDI! MUCH Thankyou.
I need text files to work off of (as program data).
But thats ok. I wont request (yet). Im working to upgrade my machines and then maybe I can run the DB myself and generate lists.

For future thinking, I would like to see a headers list. Dom makes it hard to program randoms because everything is one list. Does the DB have switches that will make it easy to get separate lists for pretenders, commanders, troops? for aquatic? for Cap sites vs random sites?

Nov 14 2013 Anchor

You can copy-paste stuff from the static file to text files. You can do an autofilter and sort, things according to whichever attribute and in the base tables they are booleans (empty counts as 0). There is also a non-game attribute column that tells you whether something is a commander usually.

Nov 15 2013 Anchor

Thanks Edi.

Nov 17 2013 Anchor

Huge thank you for all of your hard work Edi! :)

Nov 19 2013 Anchor

Heyo, I think I found an error in the DB. It lists Hydras as using secondform, but they don't anymore, they use growhp and shrinkhp. If they actually had secondform you wouldn't see their entire total HP and they wouldn't be able to die in one turn... I think. The modding manual also specifically lists hydras as using grow/shrinkhp rather than secondform.

Nov 20 2013 Anchor

First of all, thank you Edi!

The Dryad, Dryad Mother, Oreiad, and unknown others should have Seduce -- none currently do. You'd think the Titan of Love would have it but maybe needing to wear the Shademail Haubergeon turns men off...

Nov 20 2013 Anchor

wknowles9876 wrote: First of all, thank you Edi!

The Dryad, Dryad Mother, Oreiad, and unknown others should have Seduce -- none currently do. You'd think the Titan of Love would have it but maybe needing to wear the Shademail Haubergeon turns men off...

Yes, they have the seduce ability, but I don't know the values. In the Dom3 DB Seduction was expressed as a binary value, but it is not. It has a value that cannot be seen, but that determines how much of a bonus the seducer has (meaning a penalty to the target's morale check. The Succubus/corrupt commander ability also works the same way. So those things, and the patience values for assassins, are not listed. I'd rather omit data than put made up numbers into the document. I suppose I should add asterisks into the units_base table and then add the display functions for those attributes.

Nov 20 2013 Anchor

When I click the link to the database my internet explorer can't find llamaserver.net.

Also, I wanted to say I love the depth of this game. I'm a chemical engineering major and I spend all my free time, of which there is little, learning the nuances of the game

Nov 20 2013 Anchor

The server is down for some reason. I just sent llamabeast an email. In the meanwhile, use this: Koti.welho.com and download the zip file.

That link expires at the end of the year when my ISP terminates consumer web hosting services.

Nov 20 2013 Anchor

Thanks a ton

Nov 21 2013 Anchor

Thanks for this Edi. It such an important appendix to the manuals. I'm playing a multiplayer game on my YouTube channel and your database has already helped me quickly develop my research and forging strategy for the coming turns. Such an important resource.

I give a very brief run-down of the DB here...
Multiplayer Dom 4 ~ Turn 53 and 54 ~ Plan C

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Edited by: Das123

Nov 22 2013 Anchor

All 4.03 recruitable assassin values:
1537 Demonbred 0; 428 Assassin 1; 429 Slayer 1; 1775 Baobhan Sidhe 85 1; 2197 Assassin 1; 443 Star Child 2; 502 Empoisoner 2; 877 Bane Spider 2; 1257 Ninja 2; 1879 Serpent Assassin 2; 1964 Slayer Newt 2; 1965 Slayer Worm 2; 1966 Slayer Anathemant 3; 1436 Mujina 3; 1967 Slayer Sanguine 3;

All recruitable seducers:
2187 Dryad; 2487 Dryad Mother; 1650 Oreiad; 237 Dryad; 705 Dryad; 1325 Nagini; 1740 Manushya Rakshasi; 2107 Troubadour

Nov 22 2013 Anchor

Thanks for those. The assassin values should bei n the DB already, the seducers are not. Corrupters are not eitehr, but those are basically the Succubus, some demon lords and the Grigori.

Nov 22 2013 Anchor

Item #145 Immaculate Shield should be Con 8 rather than Con 6. Also was wondering what the bold was for in those item listings.

Nov 23 2013 Anchor

Thanks Edi

Nov 23 2013 Anchor

Das123 wrote: Item #145 Immaculate Shield should be Con 8 rather than Con 6. Also was wondering what the bold was for in those item listings.

New items introduced in Dom4.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.