The player assumes the role of Logan, a veteran mercenary turned bounty hunter. Chrome features six controllable vehicles, including bipods.
Widescreen, FOV, HUD and text rendering fix for Chrome and Chrome SpecForce. Disables mouse acceleration. Disables LOD switching and increases draw distance (optional).
The goal of this unofficial "patch" is to enable the games to be played in widescreen resolutions, ultra widescreen, multi monitor setups and in 4K and above by fixing text rendering and FOV issues and properly scaling some HUD elements. Another goal was to increase the visual fidelity of the game by forcing the game to render highest quality assets even when they are far away from the player. Only assets that will actually be changed are the HUD map textures.
No gameplay changes have been made. All changes are listed in "change_log.txt". Jackfuste from Widescreen Gaming Forums fixed the "ChromeEngine2.dll" for the hor+ FOV, and high resolution map textures for original Chrome were taken from Chrome Widescreen Mod(Chrome HD Fix).
Update Chrome to the latest version(184.108.40.206) before using this, you can find the patch links on PCGamingWiki: Pcgamingwiki.com
For information how to install this patch read the included "instructions.txt" file. Apply the improved graphics settings (Step 4) only if your PC is comparable to the one I used to test it, because it is very demanding.
NOTE: If you have previously installed the old "Chrome HD Fix" you will be missing some textures for original Chrome (because the installer would delete them) and the HUD will not render properly. To spare you the trouble of re-installing the entire game, here are the missing textures, read the included "info.txt" to see where to put them('"ch_p_skaner.tex" is not needed, copy only if you want the original texture back): Chrome missing files
HUD, FOV and text rendering - before and after
HUD, FOV, text rendering, level of detail - before/after
Level of detail (zoomed in) - before and after
Third person perspective hack
LIST OF CHANGES
- disabled screen resolution limit(all supported screen resolutions are available, even multi-monitor or virtual resolutions) in the options menu
- enabled all available texture filtering options in the options menu
- enabled all available texture quality options in the options menu
- disabled mouse acceleration in first person mode
- Hor+ FOV is used instead of Ver- FOV for all rendering(big thanks to jackfuste from WSGF for fixing ChromeEngine2.dll files)
- increased FOV for vehicles
- fixed weapon being cut off in Chrome on higher FOV when aiming down sight
- fixed a bug causing the game to use small fonts on higher resolutions
- increased font size on higher resolutions
- added resolution based scaling for the following: hint and objective text, cut-scene subtitles, Logan subtitles, HUD item counter, HUD implant notifications, cursor, crosshair, hit indicators, sniper/binoculars compass and text, player position and map waypoint indicators
- added F7 toggle for object/motion detector (when available)
- added F12 toggle for entire HUD (nice for screenshots)
- reduced object/motion detector size to 65% and fixed horizontal stretching
- wrote "Chrome font scale" program that sets scaling factor for text in all HUD and GUI files and fixes aspect ratio of left and right HUD circles and positions them properly
- increased/reduced the size of some HUD/GUI elements to display properly on screen
- Fixed issues with high resolution maps from Chrome Widescreen Mod(Chrome HD Fix):
- disabled margins, so the player is positioned properly on the map
- added black borders, so the texture is rendered properly
- added/removed objects that were missing/are not there
- reduced contrast and saturation to match closer to original textures
- made high resolution 1024x1024 maps for Chrome SpecForce too
- disables LOD switching on mesh objects, trees and terrain
- lowers mesh cull size
- increases tree, objects, rain and terrain draw distance
- FOV multiplier
- third person perspective toggle with F6 (when activated)
- third person perspective, walker and jeep camera height adjustment
- activate object detector in SpecForce(also changed the color to match the rest of the HUD)
- remove black bars in cut-scenes
- crosshair scaling
- additional mouse sensitivity setting
- player jump height multiplier
*These settings can be further changed with a Java class editor. dirtyJOE editor is included in the download and the instructions. "Bonus" options must be activated manually by the user, because some of them affect gameplay and I did not want to change the game myself.