This pack contains the original release (M4) AND AN UPDATED VERSION (M5) of the MelPyth mod. Contains new weapons (shotgun, sniper rifle, M79 grenade launcher, revolver), new functions, new commands, new textures, new sounds, 3rd-person perspective, and more. Note: This mod requires AvP Gold Edition and an older graphics card and/or OS in order to display the levels properly.
M4, the original release, may still be found online in some places, but M5 has never been released. This is the ONLY place to get it. Both versions were developed by Melanikus and Python. TO INSTALL: Add the contents of either mod to wherever you have AVP installed. Read the read_me for full details. MANY THANKS TO MELANIKUS FOR MAKING THIS AVAILABLE TO ALL!!!!!
This is the original website, I recommend reading it if you're interested: Melpythmods.atspace.org The website lists some "black projects" lost and that they're "still up to bring back from the dead some creations that were hidden in the release" of M4. The changes in M5 are most likely what they were talking about.
MelPyth M4 Shotgun: Video 1, Video 2
MelPyth M5 New Weapons: Video 1
MelPyth M5 Third Person Perspective: Video 1, Video 2
LIST OF UPDATES:
M4 (released: 2005):
- New sounds (jaw attack, pulse rifle, smartgun, flamethrower, minigun, pistol, shotgun, flare burning)
- Marine shotgun added (secondary fire: switches between extended stock and folded stock)
- Marine reload button added
- Marine pistol fire rate is much more responsive
- Predator/Marine weapon select list added (displays icons of available weapons whilst changing weapon)
- New multiplayer config 'Game Mode' option: 'Normal' (compatible with original AvPGE) and 'Modified M4' takes advantage of M4's features
- New multiplayer config 'Send Decals' option: Determines whether bullet hole/scorch mark decals are sent to other players
- New multiplayer config 'Max Updates per Second' option: Increasing this option will result in smoother character movement
- New multiplayer config 'Allow Minimal Updates' option: Disabling this further smooths character movement at the expense of sending more data
- New console command 'KICK ' Kicks player
- New console command 'BAN ' Same as kick except player cannot rejoin
- New console command 'LOCKGAME' Locks further players from joining
- New console command 'PLAYERTAGS' Toggles player tags on/off
- New console command 'SHOULDERLAMP' Toggle shoulder lamp on/off
- New console command 'MPLAYER' Displays multiplayer debug info
- Various bug fixes
M5 (work ceased: 2007):
- All updates from M4 are carried over
- New textures
- New sounds (shotgun, UT announcer: "HEADSHOT!")
- Marine sniper rifle added (secondary fire: adjustable UT-style scope)
- Marine revolver added (secondary fire: scope, fixed)
- Marine M79 grenade launcher added (secondary fire: switches between incendiary (normal), napalm, and fragmentation grenades)
- New shotgun model (secondary fire removed)
- New pistol model
- Pulse rifle has functioning ammo counter
- Predator staff added (the staff's files are in the mod but it is unknown if it was ever programmed)
- Predator triangle lock-on crosshair removed
- New multiplayer config 'Game Mode' option: 'Normal' (compatible with original AvPGE) and 'Modified M5' takes advantage of M5's features
- New multiplayer marine 'Sidearm' option (choice of pistol or revolver) to any specialist marine. Marine - Pistols and Marine - Revolver automatically get both types of handguns.
- New multiplayer config 'Specialists Have Sidearm' option
- New console command 'MORPH_ALIEN' Become an alien
- New console command 'MORPH_MARINE' Become a marine
- New console command 'MORPH_PREDATOR' Become a predator
- New console command 'ALLOWNON128TEXTURES' Toggle support for non 128x128 textures
- New console command 'EXPLOSIVETIPPED' Makes your ammo explosive tipped (every shot causes an explosion)
- New console command 'NETSENDFREQUENCY' 0 means send every frame
- New console command 'STATUSREPORT' Send health/armour/energy chat message
- New console command 'CLIENTKICK' Kick player
- New console command 'FULLTAGS' Toggle full tags on/off
- New console command 'FLOATINGCAMERA' Toggle floating camera on/off (3rd person perspective)
- New console command 'PLAYERIP' Get player IP address
- NOTE: The following console commands require the following in the command line: -lampcxtres
- New console command 'SENTRYGUN' Drops a sentry gun
- New console command 'SENTINEL' Creates Sentinel (mech with machine guns and flamethrowers)
- New console command 'SENTINEL (species letter)' (e.g. SENTINEL M, SENTINEL P) Creates Sentinel which will ignore the species of that letter.
- New console command 'SENTINEL_FORWARD' Instructs Sentinel to move forward
- New console command 'SENTINEL_TURNLEFT' Instructs Sentinel to turn left
- New console command 'SENTINEL_TURNRIGHT' Instructs Sentinel to turn right
- New console command 'SENTINEL_STOP' Instructs Sentinel to stop
- New console command 'SENTINEL_GOTO' Instructs Sentinel to go to position under player crosshair
- Game is permanently in debug mode
- SHOWFPS is constant
- Map names are alphabetical; new category selection for standard maps and custom maps
- Probably a ton more I'm missing
MelPyth Mod History:
M1: Started as a replacement for avp.exe. Minor bug fixes, alterations of game's protocols to allow less data to be sent to players to reduce lag.
M2: More bug fixes.
M3: Shoulder lamp added.
M4: Melanikus joins. Shotgun, new multiplayer commands, reload function, new sounds added.
M5: Shotgun changed, three (four?) new weapons added, new bot, new commands, new textures, >128x128 support, 3rd person view added.
MANY THANKS TO MELANIKUS FOR MAKING THIS AVAILABLE TO ALL!!!!!