The Roman Legion project began when former active PDS member Age of Knights decided to return to the scene. He had been working on compiling many Roman-related modpacks into a civilization which he had dubbed 'Viva Romana!'. Mixed with feedback from The Roman Legionarius mod, we tossed the name and the concept, bringing you an original Purple Design Studios creation!
There will be a number of props included with the Roman Legion which you will be allowed to use for your own mod projects. When you release a project with a Legion prop, simply stamp a "Requires the Roman Legion Expansion" on your project. The image will be supplied with the final download package. The props package will include a pilum, gladius, scutum, gallic helmets of different styles, the montefortino helmet, gallic shields, a number of additional round shield designs, a thracian helmet, an attachable standard (flag) and many more.
The Roman Legion will have a wide selection of units to choose from, so no army you command will ever be the same. With the intervention of the gladiator arena, multiple-story houses and overall historical accuracy, you can recreate any scenario you can imagine! With legionnaires, velites, centurions, gladiators, equites, arbalesters, decurions, a complete Roman navy and many more units, this could be considered to be the largest civilization submitted to Age of Mythology Heaven!
As more units are developed, the three showcase images above will be replaced as we show you what's behind the Roman Legion. Starting with the infantry and cavalry, we'll slowly work our way into the building set and finally the release! Also, look out for unit sampler packs which could be released later this year!
- Each unit will have its own set of upgrading textures based on the advancement of armor in ancient Roman history.
- Shields and weapons will also have upgrading textures.
- Each unit will be as historically accurate as possible without incorporating formations that cannot be properly represented in Age of Mythology's limited game engine. For example, Velites will not march in formation as they were not trained as a corps, but rather self-hired militia units. Armor will match sources exactly.
- Many components of the Roman Legion will be represented, such as the vexillarius (standard bearer), praetorian guard, tribune, centurion, the siege trebuchet, extraordinarii and much more!
- In the Heroic age, you will be able to build a second story to existing houses adding to your population limit without taking up more land! With this feature, you can choose which houses you expand to be double-story, which is great for cinematics!
- The gladiator arena will be able to train a number of gladiator units as well as warrior animals such as blood-thirsty lions and devastating bears! Tasking a unit trained from the arena creates a customized and entertaining battle gaining favor for your mythological army!
- Slave units slowly gather resources for your economy, build structures for your city and gain short swords in the Mythic Age for cheap local defense (referring to 107 BC. when the Roman government abolished the landowner requirement to serve in the legion)! The units are slow, weak and very cheap, however have no build limit, allowing them to be mass-produced for a streaming economic advantage.
- Regular villagers (plebeians) can temporarily transform into weak military units for protection against surprise invasions. After a short period of time, the villagers transform back into their weak civilian status.