The PC version of our first demo in over half a year, with a huge amount of new features, fixes, optimizations, and the first bits of our main campaign!
NOTE ON SAVES
While older saves from demo 1.6 WILL work with the new game, it’s recommended you start from the beginning, in order to get the full experience.
- Cockpit models are currently placeholders.
- Station interior models and lighting are all currently placeholders.
- Joystick and controller support vestigial and more or less not implemented.
- NPC chatter happens much too frequently.
- Initial loading times are still long and the game might freeze up during it, please be patient.
- Mounting weapons occasionally will prevent the weapon from working, make note of this and tell me how and when it happened, but re-docking on the station and reloading will fix it.
- Fading transitions might sometimes be interrupted or sudden.
- Campaign and quest dialogue is currently unvoiced or temporarily voiced.
- Nebula transitions might have graphical glitches.
- Ballden NPCs do not have models implemented yet.
- Quests, but not missions, are saved.
- Tutorial will always place you back at Planet Vauldric when quitting.
- Across the board optimizations, including LOD and selective distance culling.
- New models for Macrovari, Vauldwin, and Ijuni characters.
- Opening cutscene and conversation for the main campaign added.
- Wreckage repair system now implemented. Wrecked items must be repaired by combining them with special repair items, which can be acquired in combat, especially through killing ace pilots.
- Subsystem and cargo container destruction implemented. Large ships can be seen carrying cargo boxes that can be destroyed for extra cargo, and all ships can have their hardpoints blown off. Player ships with destroyed hardpoints will be unable to use that piece of equipment until it’s repaired at an equipment dealer.
- Jumpholes can now fail, spitting you out in an abyssal place. You might want to run like hell from said place, all things considered. Jumpholes currently have a 5% chance of failure, while jumpgates will never fail.
- Ace pilot system now in place. All fighters and freighters (though not larger ships) have a chance (which is much higher for mission enemies and also gets higher each time a ship spawns without being an ace pilot) to spawn as ace pilot. These pilots have unique abilities and titles, and can drop special loot.
- Improved saving system to save more details and such.
- Added texture variation to all nebulas in the game.
- Added buoys and beacons to various locations in games.
- New graphics and models for various questlines.
- Added an in-game music player. By default, this music player can be used with the + and - keys, but requires you to place .wav, .mp3, or .ogg files in the AppData\LocalLow\Pastaspace Interactive\Underspace\Music\ folder. Individual folders within this one will be separated out into the different radio channels.
- Support for unconventional resolutions, including ultra-widescreen monitors.
- Fixed a common freeze that would occur around stations when spawning NPCs.
- Fixed memory leaks and lag when reloading multiple saves in a single session.
- Fixed issue where quest items and NPCs would not spawn or progress for the demo quests.
- Fixed issue where trading calculations would mean you would only get $1 per commodity traded.
- Fixed various UI issues.
- Fixed various grammatical issues.
- Fixed issues with missiles and mines that prevented them from targeting the enemy as well as they should.
- Fixed various camera malfunctioning issues.
- Fixed various issues with player aiming.
- And so, so, so, so much more. Seriously it’s been over six months, I can barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.