There are 300+ ships, systems, weapons, engines, thousands of parameters to be tweaked in Endless Sky, to get just right that ellusive fine ballance of a great space game. Situation is compounded by endless .txt files. This tool solves part of the problem, by preparing an easy to edit table for all ships parameters in Endless Sky.
After playing some 50+ hours Endless Sky, this little completely free gem of a game, I felt the need to tweak some ships, to make them more ponderous or formidable or under-powered.
Easily done, individually, with all the guides available, but I wanted to be able to modify the rest of the ships/systems/weapons according to my concept of how they should behave, without parsing a zillion lines of txt in ships.txt, weapons.txt and so on in the game's data folder.
Enter Tweak-a-Ship, 2 macro's embedded in the file that extract the information from ship.txt and put it in a table, for easy editing, and then puts it back in txt format
So, if you want to try your hand (and mind) in thinking a better equilibrium for a not so simple Endless Sky, you might find useful this tool.
- install Libre Office ( a free alternative to Microsoft Office).
- enable macros in Libre Office (Tools > Options >Security > Macro Security > LOW). This will enable the 2 macros in this file to run.
- install Notepad++ if you dont have it and check that word wrap is disabled.
- identify the game "data" directory and ships.txt in it
- open ships.txt in Notepad++ and copy it's contents into the sheet Sursa_ships below (the light blue tab).
Upon copying you'll be asked about format. Chose Separator Options > Fixed Width
- delete previous text in Tabel_ships and Destinatie_ships tabs
- run Ship1 Macro (click the buton or open the macro editor and chech it out first, your choice)
- tweak the table of parameters and descriptions
- run Ships2 Macro: it will compile the table on drive D:\ in ships.txt
- copy D:\ships over the original in the game data directory (you may want to save the original, just in case)
- restart the game and test the new configuration.