Separate gun condition and parts condition. Advanced jam mechanics. Please read the description carefully.
Tired of finding shitty 5% guns on everyone you kill? Annoyed at getting price gouged by mechanics? Don't want to wait forever for repair kits to be stocked just to get a usable gun? Want more depth to weapon maintenance and jamming? Try this!
Substantially overhauls weapon parts and jamming. The goal of this addon is to create a layered weapon condition system that makes it feel like stalkers are using old, worn out weapons that are still serviceable and usable, while making 'factory new' weapons require more work and less bullshit to get. Weapon condition is overall better and easier to maintain, and weapon parts condition is a new system that is tracked separately and a whole other monster to control. Parts condition will cause different types of jams that have their own procedures to clear.
Strongly recommended to use with full-percentage parts. Full percentage parts is forced on by default now.
This addon does not make the game easier in any sense. A fair amount of complexity is introduced by this addon, aimed at addressing the unintuitive vanilla parts system. This addon is intended to overhaul the process of acquiring and maintaining good weaponry.
WPO is now open-source on github: Github.com
The latest can always be found here: Github.com
I won't be reading comments here because it's too much effort. Create issues to get my attention.
Weapon Condition Overhaul
Weapon condition is reimagined as overall cleanliness of the gun. What does this mean?
- Weapon condition is much easier to take care of.
- Mechanics will clean your guns for cheaper.
- Cleaning kits are more effective, last longer and work at lower values, but are more expensive.
- Weapons from stalkers drop in better condition. This does not mean they are more usable.
- Shooting in wet weather degrades your weapon faster (configurable by MCM).
- Weapon parts condition is entirely separate from weapon condition and must be maintained separately.
- Poor-quality weapon parts will cause weapons to jam in variously infuriating ways (more on this later)
- Replacing parts is much easier. For most parts, click and drag the new part onto the weapon. However, this will reduce the cleanliness a little bit as some lubrication is lost (doesn't happen below 60%). Leatherman reduces this impact.
- Replacing parts removes some weapon condition above 60%. Overall weapon condition does not affect parts condition.
- The exception to field replacement is barrels, which must be replaced at the workbench with a repair kit. However, barrels do not affect jam chance.
- Replacing parts through the workshop does not consume either the repair kit or the parts.
- Parts are harder to repair. Ramrods. files and the multitool only work from 60% condition. Beyond that you need to replace them at a technician.
- Using a weapon repair kit will restore one part to full condition. Repair kits are rebalanced slightly.
- The net effect of the new system makes dropped guns from stalkers still pretty crappy to use as in vanilla Anomaly or Far Cry 2, but they are not completely worthless - you do not need to wait for weapon repair kits to go in stock before you can fix them up.
- Because weapons are easier to clean, I added a function that will blacklist weapons with broken parts for sale. Weapons with any part below 50% will be unable to be sold. Can be configured.
Technician changes (READ ME)
- Technicians will NOT restore parts condition. They will only restore base gun condition (they are only cleaning the weapon)
- Technicians have a number of parts in stock, increasing with toolkits turned in. This replaces the confusing repair/replace system previously used.
- Weapons can be 'field stripped', removing all components except for the barrel.
- Missing parts will show up as "-1" in details window or 'missing' in the UI description.
- Field stripped weapons cannot be fired. Repair and replacement of parts will work as expected, and other systems are tweaked to work around it.
New Jam Mechanics
- Weapons with crappy parts are prone to malfunction in variously infuriating ways.
- Triggers with low condition have a chance to misfire.
- Jammed weapons can't be reloaded (unless you're using Magazines Redux)
- Crappy feeding mechanisms can cause failures to extract or even double feeds.
- To remedy this, there is a new unjam command. Double tap Use to clear your weapon.
- Optionally, unjam keybind can be used. Use the unjam button to clear your weapon. Bind it to something close to reload, like T or G.
- There are different procedures to clear malfunctioned weapons. Misfire and FTE can be fixed just by hitting unjam. Double feed requires you to unload your magazine and then unjam.
- Weapon parts failure chance follows a formula as described in the readme.
- The old jam is also subject to this system now.
- Weapons under 85% (configurable) condition will roll to damage their parts. Parts damage amount is controlled in arti_jamming.
- More reliable weapons have lower chance to damage their parts. This is based on condition_queue_dec, so your reliability upgrades are worth it!
- Weapons can overheat from sustained fire. This is most apparent if you try to replicate a GunBusters video in STALKER. The hotter a weapon is, the more condition damage it will take and the faster the barrel will wear out. Be sure to shoot in short controlled bursts!
- Suppressors vastly increase the rate at which the weapon overheats.
- Inspecting your weapon will give you an idea of how hot it is (press unjam).
(New) Alternate Parts Drop
- There is a new 'Enable alternate parts chance' option in MCM that changes how part drops are computed. This is disabled by default.
- Previously, part drops would take the condition the weapon dropped in to determine the condition of the parts. The result of this was that high-condition weapons (65 and above) would be absurdly easy to fix and essentially "free".
- The new parts drop formula gives a chance that parts drop in good condition (65 and above) or bad condition (below). This base chance is adjustable in MCM and is further modified by the weapon condition. At a reasonably high enough base drop chance, weapon parts should be easy to find. However, now you can adjust it lower if you feel you are finding good parts too easily.
- There is an extra layer to tweak part drops by part type. This is still being balanced.
Disclaimer: only weapons with parts get to play with these new mechanics. Armsel Protecta, Gauss Rifle and P90 will only use the old system (but I can give them parts if requested)
There is a VERBOSITY variable in arti_jamming that controls HUD messages sent. This is now handled through MCM.
You can use this addon for whatever pack you want, just credit me.
Please let me know if you encounter issues. Comment here or ping me on Discord (arti#3278)
- 1.9.1- Circumvented old jams (as a fourth type of jam). Prevented reload on jam. RUS translation from Aonestr.
- 1.9- In-game PDA guide to WPO.
- Fixed bug with field stripped guns being able to shoot. Removed defines.ltx dependency - no more patch needed for mags!
- More verbose feedback for field stripping and parts replacement.
- Reduced base jam chance, now scaling with heat.
- Introduced overheating. Removed additional weapon degradation.
- Cleanups for unjam logic. Improved feedback on weapon jam. Added option to unjam from inventory. Changed default unjam to double-tap use. Added fun slider.
- Field stripping a weapon unjams it. Lowered good parts threshold by 5%. Added Dead Air styled readouts on part condition.
- Fixes for disassembly crash and TOZ crash
- Fixed the damage chance being disproportionately high
- No more parts repair at mechanics! That annoying cleaning/replacement system is gone
- Now mechanics stock a random selection of parts - at a markup. Giving them more toolkits increases the amount of parts they stock.
- Added an option to disable profanity spam.
- Weapon degradation in rain now only happens above 60%.
- Revised jam and damage formulas. Added slider for damage threshold.
- - Dynamic support for wuut_mags and Mags Redux.
- Hasty fix for wuut_mags patch to prevent condition scramble on scope detach.
- Fixed alt parts drop bug.
- Unjam is now Alt+Reload. No more keybind conflicts! You can revert back to the old one with optional.
- Made the parts kit useless.
- Firing weapon always has 0.1% chance to damage parts.
- Doubled wear is now an optional feature instead of being done via weapon_ammo.
- 1.6 - Overhauled parts condition assignment for weapons. Fixed ammo having fieldstrip option. Better RUS translation. Forced full percentage parts.
- 1.5.5 - Jam chance and double-feed chance is modifiable in MCM. You can replace parts without a Leatherman, but this will dirty the weapon way faster. Reduced max condition of drops.
- 1.5.4 - Reconciled RUS translation with TDLemon. Monkey patched out need for item_repair.script, and reduced cost of cleaning weapon parts at tech.
- 1.5.3 - RUS translation provided by mix73.
- Bugfix with clearing superjams on weapons w/o magazines with wuut_mags
- 1.5.1 - Fix bug with repair kit fixing weapon without part. Reduced prices of cleaning items.
- 1.5 - Major update:
- Implemented field stripping of weapons. NO LONGER BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE - This update will cause problems if used and removed, as it will set part conditions to negative values to represent missing parts. If you do plan on removing it, make sure your weapons have parts and none are field-stripped.
- Using a repair kit on a weapon will replace its lowest condition part.
- Prices for repair kits adjusted accordingly. Pistol toolkit cheaper and 3 uses, other kits more expensive but 5 uses.
- Shooting a weapon in the rain will drain condition faster.
- Workbenches no longer eat parts (hooray!).
- Drop conditions for guns are equalized across the board.
- Part cleaning and repair costs now take into account repair cost coefficient.
- Patch for wuut_mags.
- 18.104.22.168 - Fixed some serious bugs where having weapon with parts -> switching to weapon without parts would calculate damage based on previous weapon.
- 1.4.7 - Integrated Blindside's idle animations, now unjam button will work like inspect button if there is no problem. Handgun part cleaning at mechanic is cheaper. Replacing a damaged part at a mechanic now has a varied price, depending on rarity of the weapons it is found in, but overall cheaper. Threshold for cleaning is adjustable via MCM. 22.214.171.124 - Corrected some small non-issue values with part damage per shot
- 1.4.6 - MCM support, fixed issues with verbosity printing. English swearing now toggleable. Reduced trigger jam chance from 50% in worst case to only 30%.
- 1.4.5 - Previous unlisted fixes for crashes with missing animations or sounds. Fixed variants of guns playing the normal unjam animation. Fixed missing sounds for some unjams.
- 1.4.4 - Implicit compatibility with Blindside's weapon animations. Now if a weapon has a custom unjam animation, this mod will play it instead of the placeholder. Fix to cause weapon to stop firing if it jams during full auto (thanks Lucy), restored some strings I mistakenly removed. Crash fix for the above.
- 1.4.3 - Mostly cleanup and compatibility with 1.5.1 full version.
- 1.4.2 - Fix for crash with wuut_mags replacing parts in weapons without magazines. Removed weapon parts kit from trader stocks. Increased price of parts repair below 60% (part is too damaged to be repaired properly and is replaced)
- 1.4.1 Quick fix for technician repair CTD.
- 1.4 - Reworked parts replacement. Parts can be replaced arbitrarily, but doing so will reduce weapon condition a little bit above a certain threshold (you need to relube whenever you replace a part). Raised default damage threshold. Optional doubled wear (guns stay clean for too long imo). Implicit wuut mags compatibility - this addon should work regardless if you have wuut_mags installed or not.
- 1.3.5 - Text fixes to work with RC19.
- 1.3.4 - Barrels no longer suffer from random damage (suggested by Aquamarine). Instead they slowly wear out and have an expected lifetime of 5000 rounds before deteriorating to 0%, with damage effects kicking in at 1250 rounds fired. Old ammo increases this wear rate on the barrel and confers a flat 2% chance to jam, even in working guns.
- 1.3.3 - Fix for crash when using attachments on weapons without parts.
- 1.3.2 - Adjusted price of parts kit, added one use, and dropped multitool repair condition to match that of ramrod/file. Small fix to damage calc check.
- 1.3.1 - Replaced swearing sounds to be less cheesy (using AyyKyu's Tarkov voices). Optional English profanity.
- 1.3 Actor swears intermittently with jams (thanks andrejchudoba)
- 1.2 - Replacing parts unloads your current weapon. Barrel damage now reduces your gun damage by up to 50%. Adjusted ramrod and file for better compatibility with full-percentage parts. Fixed broken text again.
- 1.1.4 - Small patch to fix broken dots in eng descriptions. Fixed bug with replacing parts in current weapon not updating condition immediately. Prevent player from replacing parts if part is already good. RUS translations from TDLemon.
- 1.1.3 - Items with damaged parts can no longer be sold. Zombies now drop absolutely crappy weapons (and novices as well, as a side effect)
- 1.1.2 - Changed jam chance calculation to be configurable. Base rates start lower and ramp faster (now 6, 18, 54% chances)
- 1.1.1 - Moved unjam button to weapons section in keybinds
- 1.1 - Parts cannot be replaced under a configurable condition threshold (default is 0.2). Mechanics will repair parts for you...but it's not cheap.
Arszi for help and ideas
Michiko for providing unjam sounds
TDLemon for rus translation
RavenAscendant for MCM
Grok - for making README easier to read.