Forum Thread
Problems with Aliens Vs. Predator 2 (Forums : PC Gaming : Problems with Aliens Vs. Predator 2) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 3 2009 Anchor

First off I'm new to the site and couldn't find my answer anywhere, but if this has been resolved in a previous thread please direct me there. I got a new Alienware laptop and tried installing my Aliens Vs. Predator 2 game on it. My PC is running Windows 7, and I've done a little research and found that AVP2 IS Windows 7 compatable. The Install went fine, I even said yes to install the old directx.(Old because I have DirectX11 on my new PC) But when I try to boot the game, two little boxes appear. Number one says something like "Do you want to allow the hard drive to make changes to this computer?" That one I think is normal. But box number 2 says that "Client MFC Application has stopped working", and the game stops running. I have uninstalled and reinstalled choosing no when asked to install directx, but no change. I've also tried setting the game to "Run as Administrator", but once again no change. Any help would be usefull. My Computer specs are as follows.

System Info
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
System Model - Alienware M15X
Processor - Intel Core i7 CPU Q720 @1.6Ghz (8CPUs)
Memory 4096 MB RAM
Direct X Version - DirectX 11

Display
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M
Approx Total Memory - 2793 MB
Current Display Mode - 1600 X 900 (32bit) (60Hz)

Dec 3 2009 Anchor

Q: Client MFC Application has stopped working. Several firewall packages can interfere with the master server patch. Stop these programs, if they are running on your machine:
<!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--><!--DWLayoutEmptyCell-->

• AVG Webshield
  • Norton Internet Security
  • Norton Personal Firewall

From Master.lithfaq.com

Anyway, it seems one of these programs (or something else, check your firewall settings) is blocking the MFC application that tries to update Avp2. I'm just guessing here, but maybe you should download the latest AvP2 patch (isn't that 1.096 or something? Been a while).
Hope this works.

Edited by: smoochy666

Dec 3 2009 Anchor

Don't know if this is gonna matter much, but I have McAfee virus protection. Anyway I downloaded and installed the latest patch but no change. I should have worded my previous post differently. When I lauch the game, a box appears saying "Do you want the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer. I have to push yes to launch the game. Next, the first game menu comes up with the AVP2 Logo and the play, stand alone server, display, options, and quit buttons. When I push play it takes me to the screen to choose my video settings, Low Detail, Medium Detail, or High Detail. I've tried them all, but no matter what, next I get the "Client MFC Application has quit working." And what sort of things should I be looking for as far as my Internet Security? Do I need to add or remove something from the exception list or what?

--

Do unto others before they do unto you.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.