I know that a lot of people are annoyed at the "out of memory" error crashes. This seems to happen on any maps bigger than a Large map and when the game trys to auto save. Thanks to the hard work of Snapshot_9, he has found a solution to this problem.
First of all the problem is with how the game was designed. PC games have 32bit and 64bit support. 64bit has no memory limit, however, 32bit does! Gal Civ is one of those 32bit programs. This means it will use up to 2Gb of ram at MOST. It will only exceed this when it saves as thats the largest memory usage and only on big maps.But Snapshot_9 has found a way around this, one that allows the game to use 3Gb of Ram, and to be frank, if your using under 2Gb of ram you shouldnt be playing any maps over large. So this fix will only work if you have 2Gb+ of ram and at least 1Gb virtual memory.
So here is the fix. Create a shortcut, not to the launcher but to the direct .exe (should be called GC2TwilightofTheArnor.exe then right click and go to properties. The in the Target line, go to the end, put a space and add the command prompt: "/LARGEADDRESSAWARE" with no inverted commas. so the prompt should look like this:
"D:\Program Files\GalCiv2\Twilight\GC2TwilightOfTheArnor.exe" /LARGEADDRESSAWARE
Just subtitute whatever drive your using.If you have problems with this Im sure Snapshot_9 can help you. And once again we should all be thankful that he found the solution to this annoying problem.
And here is another idea from German2010:
ok here is how you can avoid the crashes on immense maps with WIN XP 32 BIT while you save and the game crashes... but you need 3-4 GB of RAM i have 4 GB. Here is how you can fix the crashes...
1. Download and install: the CFF Explorer: (Explorer Suite III)
2. Make a copy of your: D:\Program Files\GalCiv2\Twilight\GC2TwilightOfTheArnor.exe (Folder can be different)
3. Start the CFF Explorer, then open the GC2TwilightOfTheArnor.exe then go to "File Headers" then select at the right side under "Charactaristics" "Click here"... then click it! Then select and engage "App can handle >2gb addressesset" then press save and overwrite the original GC2TwilightOfTheArnor.exe later start the edited GC2TwilightOfTheArnor.exe
4. Find you boot.ini on your main hard drive like C:, its hiden so do this if you cant find it:To remove the hidden attribute from the boot.ini file, type the following command from a Command session: attrib c:\boot.ini -s -h -r
5. Edit the boot.ini like this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GBso just add "/3GB" to the line that looks like this line! Dont change anything else or your system may not reboot. Save it and reboot!
6. Start the edited GC2TwilightOfTheArnor.exe , Have Fun!
That will fix the crashes on a win XP system 32 bit with 4 GB of RAM.