Here I explain more in depth about the race of the Dwarves so that you become familiar with them.
The Dwarves were made by Aulë, one of the Valar. The Dwarves were a proud and stern race and were made to be sturdy to resist the dangers of their time. They migrated from their birthplace in Mount Gundabad and colonized almost every great mountain range in Middle-Earth. The Dwarves spent most of their time crafting, smithing and mining in their massive underground cities. They were some of the greatest miners and mined precious minerals such as gold, iron, copper, and silver. The Dwarves were also capable masons and smiths. They were great warriors that had to defend their homes from various threats, including orcs.
Realms: Erebor, Iron Hills (Ered Luin and Khazad-dûm will be included in later versions)
Dwarven race distinctions:
- Scout: Dwarven Explorer. A slow, strong melee scout armed with and axe that can throw his axe to bring down enemies or use his maps to reveal parts of the map for a while. Can be trained from the Armoury.
- Aging: The Dwarves age by constructing buildings. When they finish constructing the politician's building they age and receive resources, ships, units, or building wagons.
- Gatherer: The Dwarven Settler. A tough gatherer that builds and gathers resources. Moves slower and costs some coin. Instead of a Town Center, they have a Dwarven Hall which doubles as a Fort, being able to train both gatherers and infantry. It also has a higher attack.
- Market Upgrades: Dwarven Market technologies improve the gathering rates of two resources. Stone is a unique resource of the Dwarves. They use it to build. It can be gathered from from the Masonry, Stone Mines, Crates of Stone or it can be sold or bought at the Market.
- Livestock: They can buy herdables using coin at the Market.
- Late Game Resources: The Dwarves have three buildings. One for food, coin, and stone. The Storage Chamber, the Armoury, and the Masonry respectively. They spawn resource crates and can be gathered from. All late game resource buildings double as arsenals, providing extra improvements. The Storage Chamber, Armoury, and Masonry can also train special units; Dwarven Phyician (healer), Dwarven Explorer (scout), and Dwarven Mason (builder) respectively.
- Unit Upgrades: They have two upgrades available for each unit. One expensive upgrade that improves the unit better or a cheaper upgrade that improves the unit less, but is available an age earlier. This can help players decide if they want to rush or wait and fully upgrade their units.
- Buildings are built with Stone, they take longer to construct and have more hitpoints.
Dwarven units are slow yet tough and resistant. They generally have a stronger base attack and weaker multipliers against other units. Dwarves have mostly melee units. They don't have cavalry (with the exception of the Iron Hills), they have infantry, elite infantry, and artillery. Infantry can be trained at the War Chamber, elite infantry can be trained at the War Hall, and artillery (and siege units) can be trained at the Foundry. The Dwarves are also lacking in a strong navy.
War Chamber: Dwarven Axe, Dwarven Blade, Dwarven Pike, Axe Thrower, Dwarven Bow
War Hall: Dwarven Berserker, Dwarven Halberd, War Hammer
Foundry: Siege Hammer, Dwarven Ram, Dwarven Catapult
Dock: Fishing Boat, Dwarven Barge
*note I'm aware that historically the Dwarves in Tolkien's writings did't have ships but it is necessary for the game to be balanced.
Overall the Dwarves are good for turtling or booming because they start out slow. They are hard though because they have four resources to manage instead of three, they don't have many ranged units, and have a small navy. I personally enjoy using them and they are one of my favorite races to play with. I can't wait for you all to try them out.
Which race would you like me to explain next?
*note I'm not done texturing the Dwarven buildings. It's hard to find appropriate AoE3 buildings that look Dwarven. If anyone knows about importing 3d models and would like to help I would gladly accept your help.