Heroes of the West is a mod created by the RO2 community which brings the RO2/RS experience to the Western European theater, pitting the US forces against the German Wehrmacht. It also introduces a whole new faction, the British, bringing the 'Tommies' to the RO2 experience. The mod has been developed with support from the developers, Tripwire Interactive and Anti-matter Games. It includes 4 new maps, 5 new character sets and 10 new weapons.
The initial release of Heroes of the West on Steam will feature 4 maps:
- Omaha Beach - The US 29th Infantry Division storm the bloody beaches of Normandy during the 'Longest Day', June 6th 1944, battling against well dug-in Wehrmacht troops of the 352. Infanterie-Division.
- Carentan - Immediately after the invasion of mainland Europe on D-Day, units of the US 101st Airborne division fought to capture the key town of Carentan from the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6. This was the first encounter between US airborne troops and their German counterparts in the Western Front theater.
- Port Brest - During the brutal fighting for the key port of Brest from 7 Aug to 19 Sept 1944, the 2 Fallschirmjäger-Division defend against the US 2d Ranger Battalion. This was an encounter between the best troops of both sides and involved bitter street to street battles.
- Oosterbeek - Operation Market Garden was a bold attempt to get allied troops across the Rhine and into Germany before the end of 1944. In this map, troops of the British 1st Airborne defend the town of Oosterbeek against a mixed bag of German troops pushing into the key Rhine crossing at Arnhem, attempting to seize it back from the lightly armed British before the arrival of relieving mechanised ground forces.
- New player character models for the European Theater:
- German 1944 Heer
- American Rangers
- American Temperate Army
- American Airborne
- British Airborne.
- New weapons:
- M3 Grease gun
- G43 rifle
- G43 Scoped
- Sten MK V
- Lee-Enfield No.4 MkI
- Bren MkII
- FN Browning Hi-power
- Mills bomb
The Heroes of the West team will be continuing to support the mod with regular updates of maps, characters, vehicles (hopefully) and weapons over the coming months.