Snapshot 3.3.10 was released earlier today and includes improvements for the GTA: III & GTA: VC atmosphere. This article covers this and other changes as well as an in-game comparison between these games and GTA: Underground.
A summary of the changes:
- As the two screenshots above suggest, we added the big fluffy clouds which are present in GTA: III, VC, LCS, and VCS. The code for these clouds was not present in GTA:SA by default, so one of the programmers reversed it, bringing them to the game.
- The ambient lighting (the brightness of the buildings, trees, cars, peds, etc) for Liberty City and Vice City has been improved as well.
- Several vehicles recieved bug fixes and improvements + a few extra ones were converted and redone in the same style as other vehicles in the game (screenshots of this can be seen below). An exact list of these changes can be viewed here.
- The big fluffy clouds can be used by server-side weather types in the upcoming multiplayer - UG-MP.
Comparing the GTA: Underground atmosphere with the GTA: III atmosphere
The screenshots below are taken at the same in-game time and with the same in-game weather. The right screenshot is taken in GTA: UG, and the left one is taken in GTA: III.
Normal (Requires Snapshot 3.3 and Snapshot 3):
Standalone (only requires a 100% clean GTA:SA installation):
This release has a few known bugs which will be fixed in a patch as soon as possible.
- The so-called 'neo reflections' don't work properly. The exact reason behind this is known already, and a fix has not been implemented yet.
- Using the 'Project 2dfx' modification messes up the far clipping distance which only allows the player to see around 50 metres ahead of him
We would again like to thank The_Hero, the developer behind SkyGfx for helping us out a few times and letting us parts of his code.