Welcome to Die Till Day 7 - Gaming Group - We pride ourselves on doing the best we can to make your experience in gaming worth your time.

Forum Thread
Tutorial #1 (Groups : Die Till Day 7 : Forum : Quests : Tutorial #1) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 11 2016 Anchor

So before i get into this, i want to say that quests are alot of code, well not really code, more of something has to go in many files for this to work properly. So first thing we are gonna do is open Localization - Quest.txt. Copy below or find the line in yours.

quest_BasicSurvival,,Quest Info,,Basic Survival,
quest_BasicSurvival1,,Quest Info,,Basic Survival 1/8,,
quest_BasicSurvival1_subtitle,,Quest Info,,Craft a Stone Axe,,
quest_BasicSurvival1_description,,Quest Info,,"Craft a Stone Axe to help you defend yourself and gather crafting ingredients. Gather the ingredients by attacking grass, stone, or wood objects. You can also pick up small stones by looking at them and using the Pickup action. Once you have the ingredients, access the Inventory and locate Stone Axe in the Basics category of the Crafting window. Craft a Stone Axe.",,

so what you wanna do here is change the name of the quest to whatever you want and then change the description to whatever you wanna say about the quest. Here is an example of what i did;

quest_survivornotes,,Quest Info,,Survivor Notes,,
quest_survivornotes1,,Quest Info,,Survivor Notes 1/20,,
quest_survivornotes1_description,,Quest Info,,"Craft a Survivor Book",,
quest_survivornotes1_subtitle,,Quest Info,,Find Survivor Notes,,
quest_survivornotes_offer,,Quest Info,,"This is the first of many Survivor Notes...",,
survivornotesTipQuest01,,Popup Tip,,"Always make sure the head is smashed or cut off or a bullet is through a zombie’s head.  According to scientists and other medical research. A zombie-like virus would take control of certain parts of the brain.  If the brain is no longer functioning or attached, the zombie will not be able to reanimate and come back for you.",,

You will also need to add a line in as you see above. offer is what it will say when you pop the quest to accept. survivornotesTipQuest01 is what it will say when you have accepted the quest.

now that this has been completed, you will want to open Localization.txt and find this line;

q_basicSurvival,items,Item Quest Note,,Basic Survival Quest Note,,
q_basicSurvivalDesc,items,Item Quest Note,,A mysterious note from a stranger. I don't know how I got it.,,

you want to change all the text to match that of the things you have done above. Here is an example;

q_survivornotes,items,Item Quest Note,,Survivor Quest Note,,
q_survivornotesDesc,items,Item Quest Note,,A mysterious note from a stranger. I don't know how I got it.,,

the top q_survivornotes gives a name to the item that we will be making below and the next line is its description.

now that this is done open your quests.xml and find the following;

<quest id="quest_BasicSurvival1" group_name_key="quest_BasicSurvival" name="Basic Survival 1/8" name_key="quest_BasicSurvival1" subtitle="Craft a Stone Axe" subtitle_key="quest_BasicSurvival1_subtitle" description_key="quest_BasicSurvival1_description" 
	icon="ui_game_symbol_hammer" category_key="Quest" offer_key="quest_BasicSurvival_offer" >	
		<action type="ShowTip" value="tutorialTipQuest02" />
		<action type="TrackQuest" />

<objective type="FetchKeep" id="yuccaFibers" value="2" />
		<objective type="FetchKeep" id="wood" value="2" />
		<objective type="FetchKeep" id="rockSmall" value="2" />

<objective type="Craft" id="stoneAxe" value="1" />
		<reward type="Quest" id="quest_BasicSurvival2" />

</quest>

this file you have to change alot, so what we i will show you is my example, whatever you see changed make sure you change yours to the variables you changed in the previous explanations. Example Below;

<quest id="quest_survivornotes1" group_name_key="quest_survivornotes" name="Survivor Notes 1/20" name_key="quest_survivornotes1" subtitle="Craft a Survivor Book" subtitle_key="quest_survivornotes1_subtitle" description_key="quest_survivornotes1_description" 
	icon="ui_game_symbol_hammer" category_key="Quest" offer_key="quest_survivornotes_offer" >	
		<action type="ShowTip" value="survivornotesTipQuest01" />
		<action type="TrackQuest" />

<objective type="FetchKeep" id="SurvivorNotes" value="25" />

<objective type="Craft" id="SurvivorBook01" value="1" />
		<reward type="Exp" value="1500" />

</quest>

now this doesnt show how to link to the next quest, but to do so just add another reward as follows;

just repeat above to make quests and change the reward quest to link them, some lines you wont need for additional quests when linking but ill go into that later.

now open items.xml and find this line;

<item id="1160" name="q_basicSurvival">
	<property name="Extends" value="questMaster" />
	<property class="Action1">
		<property name="QuestGiven" value="quest_BasicSurvival1" />
	</property>
</item>

change the following as you see below to link the quest to this item in game.

<item id="1472" name="q_survivornotes">
	<property name="Extends" value="questMaster" />
	<property class="Action1">
		<property name="QuestGiven" value="quest_survivornotes1" />
	</property>

i can go into more details if anyone needs them, but this is how it is done. ill make the reward list in a bit, but for now this will get you started!

Quest Locked By Levels

I will make the code in the future when i need it for my mod, but for now ill explain how it is done!
So do the above how to for a quest, then you will lock it behind a schematic, once done you can then use the progression.xml to lock it behind a level. Best way to do this is have a Quest master hand out quests, but really its just a table that you can craft quests at certain levels when they unlock. You can make it look like a person too, but it will look wierd, but would work.

So thats how it is locked by level!

There is another way too, probably a better way actually, Basically use a quest to lock the skill level, so its required you get a skill level in a progression skill but that skill is locked by player level, once you hit those the quest will complete and open the quest thats locked by level. yeah best way to do it!

Tested, this code under this works as a must have before completed - so you could lock the next quest by skill level or make it complete once you hit set skill level or just player level.

<objective type="SpendSkillPoints" id="Weapon Smithing" value="10" />

you could also just put a level on its requirement for the quest to complete then give the level quest you want!

Edited by: DieTillDay7

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.