Here at Sprixelsoft, we’re proud to bring to you our first and finest game! It’s been a long, arduous journey to get here, but we feel that the time is ripe to share our baby with you. Just don’t blame us when you wind up jobless, and crying yourself to sleep in a gutter at night in a broken heap of despair after becoming hopelessly addicted to trying to achieve the high score. “Zombies Are South!” is a Zombie themed Endless Runner Text Adventure made for mature audiences. With a variety of commands at your disposal such as “run”, “go”, and even more surprising skills such as “look” and “taste”, you’ll find that while many endless runners make use of only one or two buttons, “Zombies Are South!” has a rich variety of game play that is designed from the bottom up to be the ultimate in endless running. Featuring an immersive core story, we hope that this is one adventure that will keep you hungry for more. MORE BRAINS THAT IS!
Zombies Are South is a quick April Fools joke that we made for our website in 2013. The idea was to spoof the endless runner genre with the ultimate form of entertainment: the text adventure.
I can’t remember exactly when it was that I came up with the idea for it (It was March 9th), but at one point I had an idea that I thought was amusing pop into my head. An Endless Runner Text Adventure. Not to rag on the endless runner genre… there are obviously fans of it; but there’s something about the endless scrolling screen that fails to captivate me. And so I felt that a spoof was in order.
Enter the concept behind our April Fools 2013 game, “Zombies Are South!” which was launched on April 1st. Matt and I had joked about the idea of making some text adventures in the past, and honestly I think it’s still something we might put some more effort into at some point. This game however was admittedly rather rushed as by the time I was committed to doing something for April 1st, I only had a few hours at my disposal to try and whip something up. That means that unlike Matt's work with Super Hematoma, I certainly wasn’t about to come up with a game engine from scratch.
And then obviously came the need to release the game for the public to be able to play. Setting up a sub-domain and uploading the files to the ftp was obviously a menial task, as was editing the css and html files to get the old school look, but surprisingly I had a lot of difficulty getting the “share” buttons working. There was a bit of a conflict with the game code and the share code which took me a while to find a solution that would work, but in the end it took 13 hours to do that small little joke!
Maybe it’s a little odd that our “first game” ended up being a quick joke project. And strangely enough, while I was thinking that it really was just a joke, it was exhilarating to get something out there and be wondering how it would be received. I admit I had a tough time sleeping as I kept having delusional dreams that it had gone viral and was being shared all over the internet. A little disappointing to see that wasn’t the case, but as you can see from the graph I superimposed on the featured image, we did get a nice little traffic spike on April 1st. It was a neat little project!