I've gotten a little bit of feedback on v1.1, and it has helped me prioritize fixes and improvements for the next version. Originally, I was planning on just adding lots of new ships and weapons but now I've decided that some polish is needed first. Here's what I've implemented so far.
A common complaint was that you didn't know what to do in the game, and weren't sure what you even could do. This is a valid issue since much of this game's depth is not readily apparent. This is why I have written a game guide that will help new people get into the game.
You can download the current version of the game guide from here, but remember that this guide was written for v 1.2, which is not out yet, so the new feature of assigning traders to stations is not released yet. However, most of the guide is applicable to v1.1! Just click view raw to download the file.
- Inventory will no longer let you unfit a module if there is not room in the cargo bay for it.
- Autopilot avoid code will no longer interfere with ships who are in combat! This means that the tactic of getting right next to them holding down the space bar no longer works. Expect combat to be much harder in v1.2 .
- Fixed a sound bug where a dying ship dropping a weapon with a looped sound effect never stops playing the sound effect.
- The comms window is no longer visible when the game first starts. It will appear if you are hailed or hail a ship.
- Added a 'Resume' button to the F1 menu.
- Stations can now have freighters assigned to them to buy and sell on their behalf. This means that you can easily keep a station supplied using as few as 2 trade ships.
- New game creation is now multithreaded, vastly shorter load time.
Work in Progress
Now that I've told you everything I've actually added, lets take a look at what I want to work on before releasing this version.
- New weapons including capital sized flak weapons.
- Weapons that only damage shields or hull.
- New ships to bridge the gap between fighters and capital ships.
- New bomber class ships that are designed to go after capital ships.
I expect to release the next version in mid January, possibly sooner. Down the road, I want to implement ships you can dock with, auto-targeting turrets, and capturable ships (with pilots who bail rather than die). However, those features are ambitious and will probably not be in v1.2 , so expect them in v1.3!
Calling Coder Types
If you want to see the latest and greatest, you can always pull the latest version from GitHub! It's a NetBeans project, so having that IDE is helpful, but you can build the game without it. I'm open to any fixes, improvements, suggestions, or feedback you have to offer.
I am always open to feedback! You can send it to me on ModDB, leave a comment, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org . Fly safe!