Conquest of Elysium 3 is an old school fantasy strategy game. You explore your surroundings conquer locations that provides the resources you need. Resources needed vary much depending on what character you are, e.g. the high priestess need places where she can gather human sacrifices, the baron needs places where tax can be collected and where iron can be mined. These resources can then be used for magic rituals and troop recruitments. The main differentiator for this game is the amount of features and special abilities that can be used. The game can be played on Windows, Linux (x86 and raspberry pi) and Mac OSX (intel and powerpc).

Forum Thread
Conquest of Elysium 3 Reviews (Games : Conquest of Elysium 3 : Forum : General CoE3 Discussion : Conquest of Elysium 3 Reviews) Post Reply
Thread Options
Feb 22 2012 Anchor

This thread lists the reviews for Conquest of Elysium 3, in chronological order as much as possible. Feel free to tip us off to new reviews and comment on the already linked reviews.

Tom Chick's articles on Quarter to Three
Give the Necromancer's a Hand (February 13th, 2012)
Sex, Dwarves and Diamonds (February 14th, 2012)
The Blind Leading the Blind (February 15th, 2012)
Ia! Ia! Lightning Bolt Ftaghn! (February 16th, 2012)
I Came, I Saw, I Totally got Pwned (February 17th, 2012)

Tom Chick's final verdict: Where Does Conquest of Elysium 3 Get All Those Wonderful Toys? (February 23rd, 2012)

The QT3 forum also has a fairly active topic on CoE3, running to well over 24 pages.

Three Moves Ahead Podcast - Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk & Troy Goodfellow
Flash of Steel - Troy Goodfellow on CoE3 (March 4th, 2012)

Other Reviews
Hooked Gamers (February 16th, 2012)
Out of Eight (February 19th, 2012)
Matchsticks for My Eyes - First Impressions (February 20th 2012)
Matchsticks for My Eyes - The Verdict (February 27th, 2012)
Halfbeard's HUD - the Preview (February 20th 2012)
Halfbeard's HUD - the Verdict (March 7th)
Frictionless Insight (February 21st, 2012)
IndieGameMagazine (February 22nd 2012)
Spacebiff (March 14th, 2012)
The Daily Byte (March 15th, 2012)
Play This Thing (March 18th, 2012)
PC PowerPlay Magazine review (June 14th, 2012)
One Guy, Too Many Games (March 14th, 2012)

Estrategas de sillón (February 23rd) - Hope you know Spanish for this one!

F**k Your Demons, I Have a MOOSE - Thread at Somethingawful.com (click at your own risk, as they sometimes redirect elsewhere)

More to be added as they come.

Edited by: Edirr

Feb 23 2012 Anchor

just a note: the review on IndieGameMagazine is the same as on "Will Write aboue ...." I don't think it's necessary to link to the same horrible review twice :-)

Feb 23 2012 Anchor

True. Removed that link. I was in a bit of a hurry when I threw the list together. I must thank whoever it was at QT3 who introduced me to the term Waaaaahburger Meal with French Cries, because that's what that review seems like. With some sobby cheese and whine for dessert...

Two new review links added: The final verdicts from Tom Chick at Quarter to Three and the final verdict from Matchsticks for My Eyes.

Feb 29 2012 Anchor

Thank you very much for this. Your link to Tom Chick's final verdict does not seem to work. Maybe this one?

I had never heard of HUD before. In that article, the author wrote
>> "I’m personally missing the 3D battlefields, but there has been hints they will get worked into the game at a later date"
What is that supposed to mean?

Edited by: onomastikon

Feb 29 2012 Anchor

onomastikon wrote: Thank you very much for this. Your link to Tom Chick's final verdict does not seem to work. Maybe this one?

I had never heard of HUD before. In that article, the author wrote
>> "I’m personally missing the 3D battlefields, but there has been hints they will get worked into the game at a later date"
What is that supposed to mean?

I might be wrong, but I think the 3D battlefields reference was about the 3D battlefields in Dom3 that serve no practical purpose that I know of, but make the battle much, much more enjoyable to look at, and that there has been a little bit of talk on the CoE3 forum about wanting a prettier battle representation.

Feb 29 2012 Anchor

Not a review, but that IndieGamesMagazine review was so awful that I had to write about it: How to Pose as an Indie Reviewer.

Feb 29 2012 Anchor

wow :P

Feb 29 2012 Anchor

TheInnocent wrote: Not a review, but that IndieGamesMagazine review was so awful that I had to write about it: How to Pose as an Indie Reviewer.

On one hand, I do like your article and think 19 of the points are pretty apt. I just want to say though, that first of all, I don't think this review even intends to be an example of New Games Journalism (And rather than being just written out by some comic book writer, Kieron Gillen really is one of the most beloved games journalists around and was the reason RockPaperShotgun has become the place known for quality games journalism, as opposed to say, Kotaku, where the journalism is often made fun of). If it did, it would probably take you through more of a journey of a particular class the reviewer played and talk about various experiences, that's the nature of the subjectivity, not just having an opinion.

New Games Journalism can be thought about as a sort of professional version of an After Action Report. The review in question here is just bad journalism where the reviewer glosses over game mechanics he didn't understand because he doesn't know how to read a manual :P. He focused on mainly things traditional games journalism focuses on though, like AI, game flow, ect, without actually putting forward a personal narrative of how -he- played the game or how it made him feel. I think if RPS ever ends up reviewing the game (And to me, it is strange that they didn't), you'll see the difference pretty clearly.

Feb 29 2012 Anchor

Oh, it was all tongue-in-cheek. I'm quite a fan of NGJ and KG. And RPS.

Sorry about any confusion. :)

Edited by: TheInnocent

Mar 1 2012 Anchor

Fixed the link to Tom Chick's verdict article. And that satire article is epic! Thank you!

Mar 1 2012 Anchor

Thank you for that satire. Its a wonderful balance piece.
Very appreciated.

Mar 7 2012 Anchor

Added the 3 Moves Ahead podcast link, Troy Goodfellow's Flash of Steel review and a link to a Spanish language review at the Estrategas de sillón blog. Didn't understand a whole lot of that last one, except the positive tone and bits from here and there, since I don't know Spanish and guesswork on the basis of Italian is not too accurate at my proficiency in that language.

Mar 8 2012 Anchor
Mar 8 2012 Anchor

ZephyrDoo wrote: The Spanish review translated.

Thanks! But erm, that's a google.com "translation", so bring your babblefish. Quoting the "translation" google.com did near the start:

"Conquest of Elysium 3 is a drinking game [...]".

Yes, strictly speaking, this is correct. Or as Monty Python famously put it: I was speaking metaphorically, you fool!

While I usually get a laugh out of things like that, it might be best to bring a few pinches of salt along.

Mar 8 2012 Anchor

onomastikon wrote:

Yes, strictly speaking, this is correct. Or as Monty Python famously put it: I was speaking metaphorically, you fool!

While I usually get a laugh out of things like that, it might be best to bring a few pinches of salt along.

Here's a drinking game:

Every time winter comes around you have to scull a drink. Encourages faster play :)

Edited by: ZephyrDoo

Mar 8 2012 Anchor

ZephyrDoo wrote:

onomastikon wrote:

Here's a drinking game:

Every time winter comes around you have to scull a drink. Encourages faster play :)

Wow never thought of that! Great!
Hmn the "herbs" some of those strange folk gather are beginning to look really good to me now....

Mar 12 2012 Anchor

Added a link to another full review, from Halfbeard's HUD. The first one was a sort of preview, the second one is a full review.

Mar 12 2012 Anchor

Hi. Greetings from Estrategas de sillón. I´ve made my blog in spanish to bring many spanish speakers to strategy games that usually be on english. The blog has a option to translate but it is like google translate, and is some poor translator.
Thanks by try read my blog.
Cheers,
Alfonso.

Mar 13 2012 Anchor

Welcome! I think you also wrote about Dominions 3 back in the day and I read that bit too, though with even less success at the time. Your efforts are much appreciated. :)

Mar 21 2012 Anchor

I wrote a review, found here.

Spoiler: I liked the game.

Mar 21 2012 Anchor

Added. Sorry I forgot earlier, the PM got sidelined by other stuff.

Two new reviews added:
The Daily Byte (March 15th, 2012)
Play This Thing (March 18th, 2012)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.