Boring Man is an intense online platform shooter with over 20 weapons. Use parkour and athletic ability to out maneuver your enemies.

Forum Thread
Technical FAQ (Read first plx? :3) (Games : Boring Man : Forum : Help me, like now! : Technical FAQ (Read first plx? :3)) Locked
Thread Options
Oct 23 2013 Anchor

This thread is dedicated to connecting to others, or hosting your own game. Give me your deets here and I'll help you the best I can. I recommend reading though this before making a thread.

Connection timed out/TCP Error(5)

The #1 factor of people unable to connect to your server is port forwarding. So if you know the ports (7778 for both UDP and TCP) mosey on over to your router's web page (which is usually something like 192.168.0.1), log in, and find the Port Forwarding page. Consult your manual for further info.

If you are a client simply trying to join random servers, if this error pops up it's likely that the server admin did not port forward correctly, or at all. Some people just jump right into hosting so they can test the game immediately, and the server registers itself to the server list automatically. To see if this is ACTUALLY a problem your experiencing, join the server I host (usually named "Spasman's somethingsomething") and if you still get an error, make a thread in this forum reporting your details like internet speed and networking devices being used.

My first recommendation would be to stop downloads, stop programs and anything that could be congesting your internet. The game is still getting its kinks worked out for laggy players, so the lower ping you can get, the better.

Wooahghh! The game's background gets all koo koo kuh-razy!

If you are using an integrated graphics card, make sure backgrounds are set to "ON" in the options. No backgrounds in Game Maker confuses the shit out of integrated graphics, and it doesn't refresh right. It's a game maker bug that will be fixed soon hopefully.

When I drag the game window around, my character dies/launchs into orbit/the CTF flags disappear.

Unfortunately another GM bug. Game Maker freezes all assets except running step event code when it's window is being dragged, and this confuses my physics engine. I can only recommend dragging your window when your server is not in the middle of combat, and to drag your window as quickly as you can. Minimizing also causes a similar issue, and needs to stay maximized. It can be behind other windows though. This isn't a major issue for client players, but hosts need to watch when they window drag.

How do I join my roommate/brother/husband/dog/person who lives with me's game? A LAN game?

While I want to make a LAN server list in the future, you'll have to join through an IP. Find out the hosting computer's IP address. Dan here can give a good demonstration: Youtube.com Then put that IP address in the Join menu and click "Connect to IP".

You can also join your own game as a client on your own computer by connecting to the ip "127.0.0.1".

Where is my save file and bm_settings.ini?

You shouldn't mess with this stuff if you aren't a computer wiz, but here it goes. Boring Man data is saved in your Windows AppData folder under Local. It depends on your windows version.

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Application Data\Local\BoringManGame
Vista: C:\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\BoringManGame
7: C:\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\BoringManGame

Go to that folder and you will find "bm.profile" which is your save file, and "bm_settings.ini" which has a few extra options. Consult README.txt to read about bm_settings.ini.

Kiss me.

Ok.

Edited by: Spasman

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.