This is the Army Men game fans have always wanted to play! Army Men®: RTS is a deep and strategic war game without the intimidation factor of other Real-Time Strategies. Army Men: RTS features an intuitive interface and easy-to-learn controls. This is not another plastic soldier game; Army Men: RTS forces players to think about how to strategically build and manage troops, vehicles and buildings while involved in a full out war! Players collect resources and build bases before the Tans can retaliate. The fun is fast and furious in this in-depth, pick-up-n-play RTS experience. Intense RTS action: build structures, manage resources, and create battle tactics. Developed by Pandemic™ Studios, creators of Dark Reign™ 2 and Battlezone II™. Fully 3-Dimensional World players can view from up-close and personal to a bird’s-eye view. Easy-to-learn, intuitive controls and comprehensive Tutorial. Form easily-controlled squads for fast-paced action and assign destination rally points.
High resolution texture pack for Army Men RTS made using algorithm based on Deep Convolutional Neural Networks.
Army Men RTS - High resolution texture pack (version 1)
--- DESCRIPTION ---
Recently I found out about a program that is specially designed to upscale images of cartoon/anime characters based on Deep Convolutional Neural Networks algorithm. The program is called waifu2x. The results can not be compared to normal texture upscaling in photoshop/gimp. Since Army Men RTS is basically looking like a cartoon I decided to try the program on the textures for units, so they look better during cutscenes. I got carried away a bit and updated more and more textures and ended up with 200 textures (out of 1272 available). TommyCD1 was the one who sent me the original textures extracted from the game and explained how to mod the game, big thanks to him.
By the way... I wrote instructions how to change LOD settings and how to play the game in widescreen on higher resolutions on PCGamingWiki, so you can check that out too:
--- INSTRUCTIONS ---
Extract the archive, open the TEXTURES folders and copy the folders inside them to Army Men RTS installation folder. No original files will be replaced, since they are in archives (the game automagically loads the new textures in folders that have the same name as the archives).
- Contains only textures for the people and the objects they are carrying.
- This was the original idea for this texture pack; to only update people, so they look better during cutscenes when camera is close.
- Contains updated textures for menu backgrounds and many objects found on the maps like rocks, plastic toys, flowers, skateboards...
- Highly recommended to use this too, but you may not notice much difference except when playing on high resolutions or when you zoom in on objects.
- Contains textures for most army buildings, tents and vehicles.
- Original textures for these objects contained a lot of "noise" and to get decent results I had to remove that noise using the algorithm. This makes these objects a bit more cartoony looking, so they are not as close to original like the textures in folders 1 and 2. Only use this if you are OK with that.
--- POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS ---
The program I used removes the alpha channel(transparency) in textures, so I could not update decals and other textures with alpha channel.
I have not updated the loading screens, even though the results were pretty good. The reason is the game loads so fast on my PC I can barely see the loading screens.
The algorithm didn't work well on chinook and helicopter, so I gave up on those.
I did some testing on still images of the intro video and results were pretty good. Technically it should be possible to update that video too, but the whole process could take hours, if not days.