You have been locked in a prison where illegal genetic experiments have been going on. The scientist figure out how to genetically make anyone go into a rage. They call it the Abuse virus. It has gotten loose and spread through out the entire prison. You have to fight your way through all the mutated and enraged enemies and make sure this doesn't leave the prison.
Falsely accused and imprisoned in a high-security facility, you watch in horror as a mysterious biogenetic experiment turns everybody around you - guards and prisoners alike, into ravening, inhuman monsters. Your only hope - steal a suit of powered armor, any weapons you can get your hands on, and make your way to the deepest level of the prison, before the plague spreads to the outside world. Released by Crack dot Com in 1996, Abuse combines classic arcade action, graphics, sound and technology: 360 degrees of side-scrolling action. Run, jump, fall and fly in any direction — through industrial corridors, caverns and sewers. Power-ups. Avoid deadly traps with jet packs and turbo boost! Kick-ass arsenal. Destroy enemies in any direction with grenade launchers, rocket launchers, napalm and nova spheres! Just a few ways to lay waste! Secret rooms. Destroy floors, walls and ceilings in search of the ultimate power-up! Level editor. Revel in your own destruction!
In 2014 Xenoveritas ported the Abuse SDL 0.8 Linux port from 2011 to SDL2 and made it build on Windows and Mac too, and stopped working on it. I updated that version and made the following changes:
As far as I know, this is the only version where the music has finally been completely fixed. (NOTE: Since changing sound and music volume doesn't work, if you don't want music just delete the music folder). I tested it on my old and new PC on Windows 7 32bit and 64bit. Please read the README for more info. You can also download the Windows version here:
I also extracted the textures and converted the HMI music to MIDI. If you want you can get those on my blog:
The source code and the binaries are also on my GitHub page. The game physics are locked at 15 FPS and the rendering is a bit slow, since it is all done by pushing around bytes of data on the CPU. I would like that to be improved. I only compiled it for Windows, but it should also compile for Linux and Mac if I didn't mess something up. If someone compiles it for Mac and Linux I will link to them too:
I made a thread about in on GOG: