3079 is a futuristic, open-world action first-person role playing game. You arrive on a planet experiencing constant war. It is your duty to find out why the warring factions cannot find peace on their own & hopefully restore it yourself. All areas, buildings, items, quests and characters are randomly generated. You will find unique lands & challenges. I hope you enjoy it! "Just want to say again that this is a great game! For those of you who feel like its a minecraft copy just beacuse of the cube textures used you really need to rethink what a game is about! The game play of 3079 is nothing like minecraft it is pretty unique as well as how the weapons all have diffrent stats and colors kind of reminds me of Borderlands. However it is still an original idea for a game and i still play it from time to time. You should at least try the demo and if you like it please buy it and support fruit! :D Still give it a 9/10 ! Best Regards, Adam" -- SeaNanners Sequel @ 3089game.wordpress.com

Forum Thread
Gentrieve 2: Next Project on KickStarter (Games : 3079 : Forum : Announcements : Gentrieve 2: Next Project on KickStarter) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 18 2012 Anchor

Hey all,

Just giving a heads up to my fans: my next project, Gentrieve 2, is coming along nicely!

Check out the KickStarter Project

It is a 3D metroidvania action game with all procedurally generated levels, enemies, textures & puzzles. I hope to raise enough money to hold contests for "Speed Run" videos and more :-)

Thank you all for your support,
- Phr00t

Jun 18 2012 Anchor

This sounds great! I'm really interested in things like randomly generated puzzles and textures.

Jun 18 2012 Anchor

Me too ;-) I really want the levels to feel unique, which I think will be key to the game's success!

Jun 22 2012 Anchor

Wait, aren't procedurally generated levels at odds with speed runs? After all how do you compare times without making everybody run the same course?

Jun 22 2012 Anchor

On the kickstarter page it says that you will be able to play the same worlds:
"To make it easy for players to play the same worlds, you will just need to enter the "world name", or select from a pre-determined list of popular world names -- and the world will be automatically generated. Even enemies will spawn and act the same to make sure you are playing on an even playing field."

And personally, I think that trying to speed through a procedurally-generated world I have never seen before is very interesting. Not necessarily "fair", but "fun." It wouldn't be about memorization, but being able to adapt to whatever the game throws at you.

It might be interesting to have a 1v1 speed trial, where two players both play the same newly-generated world.

I often play Doom with the Oblige random level generator (and other mods for adding random weapons and enemies.) It uses key card puzzles, and creates a lot of interesting layouts. But one of my favorite things about playing Oblige levels is that there are often unintended shortcuts. For example, there might be a blue door that you need a blue key to get through... but then there might be a window nearby that you can jump through and skip the whole process of getting the blue key. Because the level was procedurally generated...and nobody playtested it... you get cool little moments that would have been removed by a human level designer.
There have been times where I found ways to get over walls, or found gaps that you could get across by making difficult jumps. You don't feel like you are in a perfectly designed world...but in a natural environment where there might be multiple solutions and where you can be rewarded (or punished) for experimentation.

Edited by: tangoliber

Jun 23 2012 Anchor

Interesting post, tangoliber. I will have to check this "Oblige" out and see how its levels look!

Jun 23 2012 Anchor

Well, here is an example of an Oblige level:
Youtube.com

I usually play it like an FPS roguelike... I generate new levels every time I die, and just try to see how far I can get on one life.

I think 3D metroidvania mechanics will work great in a random environment. The grappling hook and jetpack movement system in 3079 is a lot of fun, and I can imagine that the movement in Gentrieve 2 will be great for speedruns. :)

Jun 23 2012 Anchor

I really liked that Oblige video :-) Gives me good ideas for Gentrieve 2 map development!

Jul 3 2012 Anchor

Loving the concept. What you've stated the purpose would be is the exact type of game I wish I could play over and over again.

However, with 14 days left and not near enough pledged, as well as a limited budget, I'm only able to add support via Facebook and Twitter, hoping that word of mouth will help get the word out and funding there.

Jul 3 2012 Anchor

Thanks Silent_Scream :-) I don't think the Gentrieve 2 KickStarter will get funded, but that is fine. I'm still going to work as hard as possible on it, even if I can't afford professionals right out of the gate. I do still plan on improving it over time as people buy it directly, and I also plan on having "Speed Run" contest with prizes, even if I may start out small!

Jul 9 2012 Anchor

Hi Phr00t, I recently started a thread to keep track of Linux games on Kickstarter, and I mentioned yours as well. Since you are the first Kickstarter developer on Desura I know, I'd like to ask you some question to update the thread if necessary.
1. Will there be a Linux demo available? And if yes, when?
2. Are you planning to release the game on Desura?
3. Will it be offline only, or will it have multiplayer?
Good luck with the campaign!

Jul 9 2012 Anchor

1. Yes. It will be available the same time a Windows & Mac demo is available. I'm planning for an alpha release (including a demo) sometime in August.
2. I'm not sure yet. My experience with Desura has been mixed. I like the community, but I don't particularly like the updating delays and cost (BMT Micro is much better for these things).
3. Gentrieve 2 will be a single-player game, like other Metroidvania games. There will be a focus for Speed Run competitions (with prizes) among the community, though.

Thank you for the support, although I'm suspecting I will fall short of my funding goal :( At any rate, all the KickStarter supports I did get can still support the game and get a copy from buying it from here: Gentrieve.wordpress.com

Jul 11 2012 Anchor

I will definitely purchase the game from your site if the Kickstarter falls through.

(Though, I'm in China for a month, and wordpress is blocked! So, I'll have to wait until later in August. :) )

Edited by: tangoliber

Jul 11 2012 Anchor

Thank you for your support, tangoliber!

Jul 18 2012 Anchor

Greetings.
Just registered on indiedb. I have known about 3079 for some time, but few minutes ago I've learned much more and I have some things to say so hear me out (I'll also mention Gentrive so I will not be completely off.topic, don't worry ;))
SO...long ago, I've discovered 3059 by chance. It was just around when I discovered rougelike games and this one immediately attracted me. "Sci-fi? Hacking? Engineering? Outpost-building?? Sign me up!" First steps were tough. And even once I got the hang of it I've never actually 'finished' 3059 nor played as much as some other games. But I DID play it from time to time and even more importantly - it stuck in my mind. So when I (by chance again) discovered a 3D sequel is being made I thought "oh that's cool, hope everything turns out ok for this guy(s)."I kinnda forgot about it and then re-discovered it later - this time, for better or worse, with the looks somehow akin to that-well-known-blocky-3d-game. I did not judge, I just said "well, can't blame them, this looks sell currently, but as long as the game remains original..."...Ofcourse, just today I've found out that it was in fact 3069 that I saw long ago and I just assumed it's graphics were changed to more blocky-like to sell better. I was wrong, as this was 3079. But then again, I do not really care that much about the looks.

So why this long introduction? Well, I found this topic. Read a bit. The concept of Gentrieve 2 seems quite fun. Went to kickstarter page. Saw it's closed already.Went to Phr00t's twitter. Saw latest update - 4 hours ago, about the end of kickstarter project. Wait what?Guess I was just few hours too late. Well, to be honest, I'm a bit of a cheapskate and maybe a weird person and I do not generally "fund" projects, kickstarter or not, I'm just that kind of person. But checking a bit on forums, finding Phr00t seems like an ok guy and remembering how I enjoyed 3059...I'll probably preorder Gentrieve 2.

But not today. Today I'm buying 3079 and playing the HELL out of it. In just few minutes I got so hyped for this thing I cannot explain how or why. I do hope it retained much of the 3059 elements that I liked, but even if it loosed some, I still want to play it.
So, er, thats what I kinnda tried to say in my post - keep doing what you enjoy doing if you can and don't lose hope. There are people who belive in your work and you.

Eh, was this a bit to emotional? :redface:

p.s.: thanks for letting me known about Oblige. Posted video seems really FUN! :O

Jul 19 2012 Anchor

Hey Megatron -- good read :-) I hope you enjoy 3079 and it is always nice to hear fans that came from 3059 and 3069!

Jul 19 2012 Anchor

Hey Phr00t,
I bought 3079 yesterday and played it for about...3, 4 hours straight?? It was 3.30 in the night when I finally managed to pull away from my computer.
Nice game, damn you.
I'll be sure to keep an eye on Gentrieve 2.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.