Forum Thread
Non-linear 1980s slasher film style game (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : Non-linear 1980s slasher film style game) Locked
Thread Options
Nov 22 2008 Anchor

So this is my silly idea for a game/mod. You play as either a victim or the killer. You can design your characters the way you like with appearance and various stats or have the game do it for you. Then you're set loose in a relatively large open map, like a camp site or what have you. Starting out as a victim, you earn points for doing various slasher movie victim things, getting naked and drunk and partying and what not. It sort of plays like The Ship or The Sims in that you have to fulfill various needs. Eventually, you become aware of the killer however, and then the tone of the game changes of course to survival. You still get points for doing slasher movie victimish things and surviving of course. You'd have to try to save as many other victims as possible, and defeat the killer.

The other side is playing the killer. You need to sneak around at first and observe the situation. Presumably allot of the variables in each game would be randomized somewhat to add variety. Anyway, the scoring system for the killer would be based on fear. The idea would be to slowly stalk, terrify, and kill off the victims (preferably while they're in some slasher victimish activity). Almost any object in the world should be usable as a weapon, same for the victims, but the killer could use various tricks such as wounding a victim or knocking them unconscious instead of killing them outright, and carrying them away either to isolate them for proper terrifying, or to use them as bait for the other victims.

The non-linearity would come from the dynamic storytelling. Each of the AI controlled victims would have their own personalities and interaction amongst the victims would be very important to the game. The narrative would develop based on the player's actions and the AI's reactions.

The combat system would be simpler for the victims, mostly just swinging whatever could be found, or firing a gun. The killer would get significantly more options though, being able to sneak up on victims and perform various moves, including non-lethal ones, as well as targetting specific body parts to injure. There would still be several options even if the victim was alerted. Body part specific damage means that if you slash their leg they slow down, making it easier to follow. Slower kills
of course increase the fear value. Variuos world objects could be used in combat in various ways, making for more interesting deaths.

Finally this game would have to be full of very M or even AO rated content. Otherwise it'd be missing the point.

There's my idea. I have know idea how I'd go about making it real, but I thought you folks might find it interesting.

Nov 22 2008 Anchor

sounds similar to Horror Show but with a little more complexity. Might be to complex though. I always figured we'd be not as stupid as horror movie idiots & not run around naked with a bottle of beer in our hands. :D

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Nov 22 2008 Anchor

I think that's part of the game mechanic though - you score as a victim for successfully getting away with all the classic dumb things slasher horror victims do instead of running off to somewhere safer. It's classic risk/reward brinksmanship :)

--

"lets say Portal is a puzzle game, so its a rehash of Tetris"
- Wraiyth points out the craziness of stereotyping games by their genre

Nov 22 2008 Anchor

Right, exactly. There'd probably need to be dynamic text based dialogue as well in order to get the various scenes and actions strung together in a consistent way. A large part of the gameplay would be the survivor's relationships with each other. Also, if you die as a survivor you can choose to play as one of the others, keeping your score, minus the penalty for dying, and continuing on from there.

Hm, never saw that Quake mod. I guess the only Quake 1 mod I played was Future versus Fantasy. Someone should remake that in the latest Source engine or UT3. Both mods!

Just wish I had any game development skills whatsoever besides coming up with ideas. I'd try to make it myself then.

Edited by: Shoelip

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Nov 23 2008 Anchor

Well, I'd like to try implementing something like this, the only catch is it joins a list of things I want to do ten miles long. Maybe for my next one, but that won't be for a very long time.

--

"lets say Portal is a puzzle game, so its a rehash of Tetris"
- Wraiyth points out the craziness of stereotyping games by their genre

Nov 23 2008 Anchor

Sounds good :D

Nov 24 2008 Anchor

Gibberstein wrote: Well, I'd like to try implementing something like this, the only catch is it joins a list of things I want to do ten miles long. Maybe for my next one, but that won't be for a very long time.

I'll keep an eye out. I'd be happy to throw ideas around with you when you get time.

zombieOnion
zombieOnion Non-Player Character
Nov 25 2008 Anchor

User Posted Image

yeah you!

--

JoeX111
JoeX111 Tilting at windmills
Nov 25 2008 Anchor

Sounds like a combination of The Ship and Hidden: Source. Could be good! Although I can't imagine why anyone would want to play the victims.

Nov 26 2008 Anchor

zenarion wrote: User Posted Image

yeah you!

Who's asking?

JoeX111 wrote: Sounds like a combination of The Ship and Hidden: Source. Could be good! Although I can't imagine why anyone would want to play the victims.

My idea is definitely like The Ship. Only slightly like Hidden: Source though. People played Lemmings, and that didn't have any gore, skinny dipping or sex at all.

tacoo
tacoo cupcake man
Nov 26 2008 Anchor

TheHappyFriar wrote: sounds similar to Horror Show but with a little more complexity. Might be to complex though. I always figured we'd be not as stupid as horror movie idiots & not run around naked with a bottle of beer in our hands. :D

Wait....you never did that? :S

Edited by: tacoo

Nov 30 2008 Anchor

I dont even need a bottle of beer to run around naked !

Nov 30 2008 Anchor

That may be, but you're not a hot twenty/thirty something year old playing a hot eighteen year old running around naked.

Edited by: Shoelip

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Nov 30 2008 Anchor

zenarion wrote: yeah you!

I don't see where he ever asked for someone to make it for him. :P Actually he's about the only person who actually used this forum in the right way.

Edited by: Relto

zombieOnion
zombieOnion Non-Player Character
Dec 1 2008 Anchor

Yeah he was. I just really like the idea.

--

Feb 13 2009 Anchor

It being Friday the 13th and all I figure this is a good enough reason to bump this thread in hopes of kindling continued discussion or even inspiration.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.