Forum Thread
2D Help (Flash/Game Maker 7 Pro/Torque Game Builder) (Forums : 2D Graphics : 2D Help (Flash/Game Maker 7 Pro/Torque Game Builder) ) Locked
Thread Options
Mar 4 2009 Anchor

Hello, I'm looking to develop a Castlevania 2D side-scrolling game using either Flash, GM, or TGB. I already have all the sprites, backgrounds, music, items, etc. They're all on sheets that need to be broken down into sections such as Alucard's walk cycle. I also have the design doc, story, level design, and concept typed up and organized in documents. Doing this by myself is going to time long time seeing how I never really touched GM or TGB. But I do know how to animate sprites, set up backgrounds, and collisions in GM. And I have used Flash since its Macromedia days. I do know TGE but not TGB but I am always up to learning new things!!

So if any one is interested please let me know. Please reply here or send an email to me at evan_salas@hotmail.com or PM me here at Moddb. Thx!!!!!

Evan S.
Lead Designer
Bloodshot Games

Mar 4 2009 Anchor

I'm not too experienced with TGB (Which I find oddly surprising.) I just know it has a 'similar' architecture to TGE.

GM uses GIFs to use 'animations'. Backgrounds are literally just drawn up large sprites, and collision is simply turned on, and is the shape of the character's image box. GIF images are very easy to make once you get the hang of it.

If your looking to create 'the classic' style I'd recommend using GM, but I don't like the engine or creator much as I've found it buggy and sometimes annoying to create more complex things.
TGB is the simple 2D version of TGE (As I've heard). Since it uses Torquescript, coding much of the features wouldn't be too bad at all since TS is easy to pick up and learn. TGB also seems much more flexible and able to be more complex than GM, but ultimately may take longer.
TGE would be my personal preference. Its not intended for a side-scrolling style of gameplay. but thats not at all difficult to fix. Since TGE is a much more flexible 3D engine, you wouldn't be limited to 2D. TGE, however, would take much more work in the long run as you'd actually be animating compared to simply making a GIF in GM.

You have 3 good starting choices here. Each one is a new level of complex compared to the last. This will be an easy choice if you know exactly whats going to be in-game, and what it will look like.

Mar 4 2009 Anchor

no im not confused. I've never used GM or TGB at all. I have used TGE to create simple mini games such as a maze runner game, marble madness game, and a target shooter game like Duck Hunt. My school has the license for all the Torque engines expect the Advance one. Like you said in your recent tut on Cc, just when you think you've researched an engine, you really haven't. So Im going to look into TGB. I have GM7 on my PC at home but not TGB so I might have to work something out with the school so I can have TGB at home. I know Flash very well and AS but I dont think it will give me the game I'm looking for.

I know what I want to be in-game from enemies to backgrounds to pick ups. And I'm going for a SOTN/Dracula X Chronicles look and feel...

I'm sure everyone who post these threads about help and starting up something wish for that talent and skilled person to reply and ask to join you, b/c I could use all the help I can get. Thank you for your input, good luck with your project.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.