An experiment in making a "map pack" for Saturn Experience out of someone else's release mod - Threshold of Pain by @scalliano.
I have been making changes to Threshold of Pain by @scalliano for a more lo-fi-ish look and feel but (almost) without touching level geometry or converting to the base set of PSX/Saturn flats and wall textures. To try it drag sc_topsat.pk3 onto saturn.bat.
You will need saturn.zip for this.
Included is the readme from the original Threshold of Pain Special Edition by @scalliano.
Notes on what's been changed:
1. WAD converted to pk3 format with some assets reorganized and cleaned up and some DECORATE actors converted to ZScript
2. Music, flats and textres and sounds from PSX removed so that those in the base TC are used instead
3. Burning sky animation removed and skyboxes "dumbed down" to remove scrolling animations; "stock" skies used in all maps
4. Saturn-style translucency applied to Nightmare monsters and new player weapons
5. Color lightning removed in the maps, and dynamic lighting effects removed too
6. Alpha translucency effects removed from monsters and trap monsters just appear instead of gradually fading in
7. Nightmare specters are Saturn Nightmare specters
8. Nightmare imps and cacodemons retain the speed and other behavior from the mod and their new projectiles but look like translucent versions of their ordinary counterparts
9. Archvile is replaced by a more unfair version of another Doom monster. Archibald is not welcome on Saturn.
10. All new monsters retain the looks and behavior from the mod, except
- guardian satellites the final boss summons have been replaced by an existing Doom monster
- boss itself has been made tad smaller in height
- afrits have lost their orbiting comets
11. There are no changes to levels apart from the ones listed above, except
- Praetorium geometry has been condensed slightly
12. Final battle boss health meter has been replaced by a series of conventional messages a-la pick up log
13. For new weapons both normal and fast variants are available depending on the Game mode chosen.
- In Saturn mode Chaingun and Minigun are in slot 5, BFG and Unmaker are in slot 8.
- In Classic mode Chaingun and Minigun are in slot 4, Unmaker is in slot 8.
14. Unmaker had Alternative fire removed and had it's ray attack visuals changed to not use use particle effects.
15. Final scroller is widescreen friendlier and fades into credits sequence after a brief delay.