The latest version of the Wing Commander mod for Homeworld: Remastered. A total conversion for the famous space shooter series, it currently features four new factions and redesign the gameplay towards carrier-based warfare as a massive offensive and defensive support to fleet operations. The mod has been thoroughly updated since the previous version on ModDB, and now offers significantly upgraded models, thanks to the help of the Wing Commander Saga team, who offered to share their models and textures.
A total conversion mod for the Wing Commander universe taking place in the timeframe of Wing Commander III and IV. The mod is, as the original games, heavily centered around fighter and bomber warfare, while keeping a healthy importance to capital ships. Play as the Terran Confederation, the Union of Border Worlds, the Black Lances or the Kilrathi Empire.
This is the version 3.0 of the mod for Homeworld Remastered. All four factions are playable in addition to the vanilla ones. You can play both against the AI in local or in the beta multiplayer with people having this mod, by using the command line "-mpbeta -mod WC4FC_Remastered.big" in your Homeworld Remastered shortcut (found by Soulsavant).
- Updated icons, more visible now.
- Corrected a bug with the Lexington that "ate" the resource collectors it built.
- Upgrade tree for Confed ships.
- Confed capship torpedoes now properly set up, require a tech research to be fired.
- Laser turrets will no longer fire on enemy capships.
- four new factions from Wing Commander 4: the Price of Freedom. The Terran Confederation, the Union of Border Worlds, the Black Lance and the Kilrathi Empire all of them with their units and research.
- compatible with the vanilla factions of Homeworld: Remastered, which were slightly tinkered in order to be survivable in the new type of carrier warfare offered in the mod.
- emphasis on carrier warfare, with powerful fighters yet unable to damage capital ships and bombers (corvettes) equipped with devastating anti-ship torpedoes
- balance between offence and defence as torpedoes can be intercepted by ALL factions, including the Homeworld ones, making a properly escorted fleet a very tough nut to crack
- optional fuel management for strikecrafts (fighters and bombers). This feature, as far as I know, implemented for the first time ever in a Total Conversion for HW2/HWR, makes carriers critical to bombing ops, as all strikecrafts will have a limited range beyond which they will lose most of their speed and will go back to their carrier automatically. Now, hitting the enemy carrier is a very good tactic to neutralize an overwhelming strike force!
- carrier battle mode, with starting fleets limited to a single carrier and its battlegroup, forcing you to hunt the other one and try to break its defences before it does the same to you. Midway in space!
- hero fighters, unique upgraded fighters and bombers with named pilots from the original game, giving you the extra edge you need
- unconventional unlock methods: some of the best fighters for several factions will need you to go out of your way and capture a specific enemy ship to be built. Who dares wins.
In the future:
- high definition models, to take full advantage of the Remastered game and offer models as good as, or even better-looking than the vanilla Remastered factions.
Credits given to:
- czacen, for making the initial mod several years ago,
- the Wing Commander community, for being so supportive and making new models of the fighters and capital ships,
- the Blue Planet mod team and the Ancient-Shivan War team at www.hard-light.net(campaign) for the hyperspace animation used in this mod.
- the Wing Commander Saga team for their awesome models and textures of the Kilrathi fleet.
- the Phoenix Interactive mod team, for their support and advices on the art of HW2/HWRM modding. Merci, les gars !
Mod initially created by Aaron 'czacen' Thomas who vanished half a dozen years ago after publishing this mod and allowing me to tinker with it and improve its gameplay and balance features. This is the definitive version, hosted by the Wing Commander CIC fansite www.wcnews.com, and uploaded to the workshop with their authorization.
Integration of the hyperspace animation used with authorization from the Blue Planet FreeSpace mod, hyperspace/subspace animation created by the Ancient-Shivan War team[www.hard-light.net]
Kilrathi Empire ships' models and textures by the Wing Commander Saga Team[www.wcsaga.com], integrated with their authorization.
Additional models by Klavs.
Install instructions: unzip the .rar file into your Data folder of the Homeworld Remastered folder, then create a shortcut to the executable (which is in \Bin\Release) and add to the shortcut's target: