Frictional Games is a small games developer located in the south of Sweden. They're best known titles are the adventure horror titles, Penumbra and Amnesia.
This job was posted over 30 days ago. This means the position is now most likely filled & no longer available.
Programmers located Europe.
Posted by Frictional Games on
Frictional Games, the creators of Amnesia, SOMA and Penumbra, are looking for a gameplay programmer / designer to join our ranks. This is a full-time employment, working from home.
At Frictional our goal is to create innovative, narrative-focused experiences, and explore how to use the potential of the videogame medium to the fullest. Penumbra was a unique combination of horror, physics and adventure gaming. With Amnesia we redefined what horror games can be. In SOMA we explored deep subjects in new unsettling ways. We aim to continue this trend.
Working with us, your core duty will be to collaborate with other team members in order to design and craft immersive worlds and experiences. At Frictional we do not simply rely on the core mechanics to carry most of the game. What makes or breaks our experiences is the care giving to the all specific level elements. Making sure these are top notch, both in design and implementation, will be your main duty. This includes everything from level layout and pacing to designing and implementing puzzles and smaller events.
Here is a rundown of some of a few more specific tasks you will find yourself doing:
* Design the layout of a level based on a high level summary.
* Come up with ways to convey certain story moments in the most efficient manner.
* Design and implement puzzles so they fit with gameplay, world and story.
* Script background events that sets the tone for a level.
* Implement gameplay systems, such as an inventory.
* Tweak AI to make it behave like you want.
* These are far from the only things you will be doing when working with us.
We like to see people dabbling with things outside of their expertise and to constantly learn new stuff. The more areas of development you are able to take part in, the better.
Of great importance is that fact that you will be working from home. Frictional Games does not have an office, so it is crucial that you are able to plan your day, and work without strict guidance. Because of this, we allow an amount of flexibility that you rarely find in an office environment.
The most basic requirements are the following:
* You are fluent in English.
* You have played a major role in completing at least one game.
* You have worked on a game that uses 3D environments.
* You have a fast and stable internet connection.
* You are well-versed in C++, C#, Java or similar.
Additional (non-essential) requirements:
* You live in Sweden or are prepared to move here.
* You have an interest in narrative games.
* You are good at writing, drawing or both
* You have an interest in horror and sci-fi.
* You have a Windows PC you can use for work capable of playing recent games (SOMA is a good test case!)
If this sounds like the job for you, send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org now!
Learn more about how we hire at Frictional Games: Frictionalgames.blogspot.se
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com