A new game mode is done: Save the Transport. The next big step is to add maps. We've got a whole list of maps that we're planning to do, that should be more fun than debugging multiplayer-code. Also, we're going to post a new demo soon, then we'll start looking for publishers.
So what's this Save the Transport game mode about?
One team defends two transports as they make their way through the sector. The other team must try to destroy the transports.
"Save the Transport" features:
- The transports are composed of multiple parts, each can be destroyed individually. This adds a tactical aspect to the game mode, since each part that is destroyed has a different effect:
- The ships are invulnerable until their sensor- and navigation-sections have been destroyed.
- Shooting the transports' engines will make the ships fly slower, buying the attacking team more time to fully destroy them.
- Destroy the cargo containers on the transport to get a money bonus. Since the attacking team won't be fragging many other players and instead focusing on destroying the transports, this option is a valuable alternative income.
- The Bots already "know" how to play the game mode. They put all their efforts into destroying and defending the transports. This way all the action is focused on one place on the map: the current position of the transports. That's a new twist to CSiS, many of the other game modes had the action spread out over multiple places on the map at once.
- Attacking bots place turrets along the transports' route.
- As with all game modes, this game mode will work on all maps.
Here's a few shots we took during development (check out the gallery for more):
With this game mode done, we have: Free for All, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Station and Save the Transport done. That leaves only one left to go.
Many bugs have been fixed over the past weeks, we're getting there! Yay!
On a side note, the team has been somewhat disabled lately, due to multiple longer stays at hospitals. We hope that all team members will get better again soon! Wish us luck...