Latest full version of the mod, compatible with Their Finest Hour 4.02. The forum hosted on ModDB has a list of known bugs and issues. When you start the mod up, there's an "introduction" decision that also provides more info. If you use Custom Game Mode, then be aware that your practicals and theories will reset to 0 and be recalculated based on your tech choices; that will cause research to be VERY slow until you get your theory techs back up. There's nothing we can do about this, so think of it as the price for using CGM. The changelog from the previous version is in the readme. Please note that this version is a beta version. It very likely has some small bugs, so if you download it please comment here or in the forum (ModDB or Paradox) any bugs you find so we can fix them. Install instructions below:
NOTE!!! Please check out the graphics packs in the add-ons page. The mod is large, and the pictures have been split from the main files in order to keep file sizes down.
- Before downloading anything, if you have Windows 7 or newer, then you WILL NOT be able to install the mod without issues if the base game is installed in the Program Files directory. You must copy your game folder to a directory outside of Program Files or disable UAC (not recommended). Microsoft OSs starting with Windows 7 have security "features" that undo changes to any folders inside of Program Files, and moving the game's folder out of that directory will prevent any install problems. 99% of all install problems are caused by not following this step!
- Download the appropriate version, the graphics packs from the Addons section, and the hotfix.rar from the mod's main forum if there is one.
- Make sure the game's language is set to English
- If you have a previous install, you'll want to delete your save games. They are located in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron III\HPP\savegames.
- Find your '\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh\mod' folder!
- If you have a previous installation, you will need to delete that. Remove the '\HoI3\tfh\mod\HPP' folder and the '\HoI3\tfh\mod\HPP.mod' file! (If you didn't have a previous installation, then you obviously don't need to do this.)
- * Unrar the files. The core files, graphics, and any possible hotfixes go to the '\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh\mod' folder. If everything goes well, it shouldn't need to overwrite anything there, it only adds new files.
- Optional colored HQ counters are now included in the mod files as the file "coloured_hqs.rar". To use them, unrar the .rar file in the mod folder and overwrite when prompted
- The VCSelector program will allow you to change the mod's victory conditions. Note that using this program will alter your checksum, so I advise you to start up the mod using the default setting to make sure your checksum is correct before changing victory conditions
- Run the mod with the launcher, select 'Historical Plausibility Project' in the "Select mod to play" list, hit "Start HoI3", and let it build up the cache. This step can take up to 30 minutes, depending on your hardware! If the game crashes (NOT freezes) at this step then you need to download and use Paradox developer Podcat's LAA version of the game from the official HOI3 tech support forum. Please note that if Windows tells you the game isn't responding, ignore the warning and keep waiting! This step takes a very long time and Windows can give you false-positive messages about the game hanging. The game isn't hanging, it's just taking so long that Window's timer went off to tell you that it's frozen.
- Restart the mod and check your checksum in the top-right corner. I get BGLH without any optional content installed. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!! Generating the map cache will use up all your RAM, and you likely won't be able to play the game in the same session your map cache was built in. Trying to do so may result in a crash. Restart the game before trying to play the mod and make sure the checksum matches!
- Have fun! (Or at least help me fix the bug that ruined your afternoon by reporting it in the forum...)
- NOTE!!!! If the game crashes during the first few months after the game start, then you need to use Podcat's LAA exe from the official paradox tech support forum for HOI3. The game cannot use more than 2GB of memory without this fix and will crash on 64-bit systems. If you cannot get it for whatever reason, then you will need to go to Google and learn how to apply a 4GB patch to the game yourself. I will not upload the patch here, because it would be illegal to do so and I don't support software piracy.