Updated version of Abuse SDL port for Windows computers. Enables support for higher resolutions, adds XBox controller support and makes some other QOL improvements.
Falsely accused and imprisoned in a high-security facility, you watch in horror as a mysterious biogenetic experiment turns everybody around you - guards and prisoners alike, into ravening, inhuman monsters. Your only hope - steal a suit of powered armor, any weapons you can get your hands on, and make your way to the deepest level of the prison, before the plague spreads to the outside world.
Released by "Crack dot Com" in 1996, Abuse combines classic arcade action with cutting edge graphics, sound and technology:
- 360 degrees of side-scrolling action. Run, jump, fall and fly in any direction — through industrial corridors, caverns and sewers!
- Power-ups. Avoid deadly traps with jet packs and turbo boost!
- Kick-ass arsenal. Destroy enemies in any direction with grenade launchers, rocket launchers, napalm and nova spheres! Just a few ways to lay waste!
- Secret rooms. Destroy floors, walls and ceilings in search of the ultimate power-up!
- Level editor. Revel in your own destruction!
ABUSE SDL 0.9a
In 2014 Xenoveritas ported the Abuse SDL 0.8 Linux port from 2011 to SDL2 and made it build on Windows and Mac too, and stopped working on it. I updated that version and made the following changes:
- Enabled custom resolutions and enabled lights on high resolutions
- Re-enabled OpenGL rendering to enable vsync
- Game screen scaling in window and fullscreen mode using F11 and F12
- Enabled some high resolution images from the 1997 Mac OS release
- Fixed level music not being played correctly, added "victory" music in the end game screen
- Fixed health power image, fixed mouse image when choosing initial gamma
- Added or re-enabled various settings in the config file (borderless window, grab input, editor mode, high resolution images...)
- Local save game files and configuration files
- Quick load using F9, quick save using F5 on save consoles
- Added cheats via chat console: bullettime, god, giveall, flypower, sneakypower, fastpower, healthpower, nopower
- XBox360 controller support with rebindable buttons
- Updated abuse-tool so it can extract the images in Abuse SPEC files to modern image formats as individual images, tilemaps or a texture atlas with information about image, tile and animation frame sizes and positions
As far as I know, this is the only version where the music has finally been fixed. I tested it on my old and new PC on Windows 7 32bit and 64bit. Please read the included README for more info. You can also download the Windows version here:
- Since changing sound and music volume doesn't work, if you don't want music just delete the music folder. This sometimes also disables other sounds, I have no idea why it happens, because it happens randomly even on the same computer. One day it works, then next day it doesn't.
- If the tutorial text flickers, open "user\config.txt" and enable vsync.
I also extracted the textures and converted the HMI music to MIDI. If you want you can get those on my blog:
The source code and the binaries are also on my GitHub page. The game physics are locked at 15 FPS and the rendering is a bit slow, since it is all done by pushing around bytes of data on the CPU. I would like that to be improved. I only compiled it for Windows, but it should also compile for Linux and Mac if I didn't mess something up. If someone compiles it for Mac and Linux I will link to them too:
I made a thread about in on GOG: