- Joining Multiplayer servers
- Hosting a server
- Troubleshooting & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- a copy of SWAT 4 or SWAT 4 The Stetchov Syndicate (available on GOG, DRM-Free for just 9.99 Bucks)
- SWAT 4 Stats Master Server Patch (optional)
- SWAT 4 Server Browser Alternative (optional)
Joining Multiplayer servers :
1/ In-game Server Browser fix (Recommended) :
- You can get the SWAT 4 Stats Master server patch from here, This will let you browse Servers hosted on SWAT 4 Stats Master server from your Ingame Server browser, the Master server may be taken down sometimes so be sure to try the other methods below if this one doesn't work for you.
2 / External Alternative Server Browser :
- Download and Install SWAT 4 Server Browser Alternative.
- Open it and Click options.
- Select the SWAT 4 version you wish to use to join servers.
- Locate the executable file of the game (which should be located in the game directory).
- Click "Refresh"
- Double Click the server you wish to join.
3 / Adding server Manually :
- Copy a server's IP Address, I Recommend checking SWAT 4 Stats Tracker and Gametracker for lists of servers with active players.
- From the game Main Menu, Click "Join game" and then Click "Direct IP"
- Paste the IP Address for the server (The Full IP + :Port) eg : 220.127.116.11:10490
- Click "ok".
Hosting a server :
- Forward the ports 10480 > 10487 TCP and UDP (enter the configuration page of your router to do so).
- Launch the game and go to "Host game" to configure your server, Here you can set-up your server settings, including the game mode, maps...etc, Make sure to select "Internet" from the Box, once you're done Quit the game back to Windows.
- Download the Master server fix "Engine.dll" corresponding to your game version or edition from here, and replace yours with it (read the linked page for instructions).
- Launch "Swat4DedicatedServer.exe" in the "SWAT 4\Content\System" folder, It will use the settings you have made in the 2nd step.
If you follow the steps correctly, your server should appear to anyone using the master server fix in the server browser, If they're not using the fix you can just send them your IP address so they can use it to join, your IP address should be listed in the server browser too.
You can advertise your server on sites like Gametracker or Multiplayer groups and sections on other sites, this gives people a better chance of finding your server in case they don't check ingame servers.
Frequently Asked Questions & Troubleshooting :
Q1 - Does this work with CD Retail versions of the game ?
A - Yes, it does.
Q2 - Do I have to download anything for this to work?
A - Depends on the method you choose to follow, first method requires you to download a Master server patch and the second method requires you to download a launcher, 3rd method doesn't require you to download anything. However All of the 3 methods require you to at least have a copy of SWAT 4 installed in your computer.
Q3 - How do I find my own IP Address?
A - After you have successfully started your server it should be listed in the game server browser, your IP Address should appear there too, share it with your friends to let them join, people cannot use your Local IP Address (eg: 192.168.1.2 or 127.0.0.1) to join your server, and make sure the IP Address is followed by a :port (eg 18.104.22.168:10485)
Q4 - Refreshing gets stuck on startup, what should i do ?
A - If you're using the Server browser alternative, Click cancel and Refresh Manually using the refresh button, If you're using SWAT 4 Ingame server browser, you have to Install the SWAT 4 Stats Master Server Patch and retry.
Make sure to add public exception to firewall for SWAT 4 executable and SWAT 4 Server browser alternative, Windows by default should automatically ask you to choose Private or Public Firewall exception but if it doesn't, follow this guide to do it manually, If you're still getting issues with the ingame server browser then the SWAT 4 Stats Master Server was probably taken down, in this case you should try the other methods.
Q5 - The Server is running using a version I don't have, what should i do ?
A - Make a copy of your SWAT 4 Folder, name your old SWAT 4 Folder after the version you currently have (eg : SWAT 4 v1.0) and name the new one SWAT 4 v1.1 (or 1.0 If your current version is 1.1) then Install v1.1 Patch on your 1.0 Folder, If you want to downgrade your v1.1 version to be able to join v1.0 servers follow the next instructions.
Note : keep both folders, and keep them both separate if you want to easily join servers from any version later without having to worry about re-installing or downgrading the game, use SWAT 4 Server Browser Alternative so you can switch seamlessly between the two versions and make joining servers easier.
Q6 - Can I add more servers to the list ?
A - Get their IP Addresses and Click "add server" if you're using the Server browser alternative, or click "Direct IP" if you're using Ingame server browser, I Recommend Gametracker and SWAT 4 Stats Tracker for lists of servers with active players.
Q7 - Game gets stuck on "connecting" after selecting a server ?
A - This usually happens when server is not reachable, If the game doesn't show the word "loading" on the loading screen it means you won't be able to reach or join the server, In this case you have to find another one.