Linux & Mac OS
There are three basic steps to running Mechcommander Gold on Linux:
- Install the latest version of wine – Open your Ubuntu Software Center (Ubuntu), or Install & Remove Software window (KDE) search for wine, and install your desired package. For other linux distributions see: Winehq.org
- Install the game – You have two options here. You can either copy the contents of your game installation on a windows machine or the contents of the MCG disk or you can install from an ISO. If you are installing from an ISO start by opening up a root terminal. After entering your password create a directory where you will be mounting the disc using:
mkdir name_of_your_dirThen run:
mount -o loop your_disk.iso /name_of_your_dirreplacing , “name_of_your_dir”with the directory name you wish to use for your mount folder, and “your_disk.iso” for the name of your iso file. If this works you will see the disk contents in your mount folder. In this folder run:
wine AUTORUN.EXE(make sure to set this file as executable by right clicking on it -> properties -> compatibility tab) and install as you would on a windows machine. For more info on mounting see Cyberciti.biz
For more info see: Appdb.winehq.org
I found this here: The Game Engine
MCG Darkest Hours install note
for making MCG-DH work on Linux you need first to install the original game, then start game from MCG Darkest Hours folder like the original game - and Mod should work. So to activate MCG-DH follow the Windows 98 Installation notes for it.
How to play MechCommander on MAC/OS!
from 10 January 2016
This WSI file will create a Wrapper and install Mechcommander Gold into that Wrapper. Follow the following steps in order to play the game:
1. Download the freeware ISO file of the game here… (click install —> download the iso)
2. After download, Mount the CD with DiscImageMounter (right-click .iso file —> open with)
3. Go to Porting Kit library —> server tab and download the Mechcommander Gold file.
4. Porting Kit will now scan the disc and run the setup file.
5. Click the standard “next ,next, next, finish” stuff without modification.
6. After installation exit the installer and Porting Kit will say that install finished.
7. Play the game on the library —> local tab
8. Have fun!
The classic Mech Commander Series was released for free by Microsoft. You play the commander of the ‘Federation Suns’ charged with ridding a planet of the forces of the evil ‘Smoke Jaguars’. The game can be played against the computer or human players on-line (either in battles or co-operative games). The player assumes the role of the commander of Zulu company from the Federated Commonwealth’s First Davion Guards, and the planet Port Arthur must be taken back from the Clan Smoke Jaguar. The plan is to systematically establish a beachhead on the planet, then cut off supply lines to the Jaguars, and finally retake cities and territories until the final mission at the Port Arthur staircase. The campaign mode is 30 missions long, divided into five operations, each six missions long.
- The free Porting Kit app
- A two Button USB mouse with scroll-wheel (recommended)
- The Disc Image needs to be mounted in order to play the game!
MCG Darkest Hours install note
- for making MCG-DH work on MAC you need first to install the original game, then start game from MCG Darkest Hours folder like the original game - and Mod should work. So to activate MCG-DH follow the Windows 98 Installation notes for it.
Found on: Porting-Kit Solution - alternate link Crossover.
(c)by RizZ (2017) - overhauled (2020)