So, time to fill you guys in on weapons.
Here are the current plans in regards to weapons in Radium:
- Up to 5 types of ammunition per caliber if it's warranted. For instance both 9x19mm and 5.56 have 5 different ammo categories. For 9x19mm this would be: FMJ, JHP, AP, Subsonic, Fluted tip (inspired by "Xtreme Defender" ammo. Good AP and very nasty wounds).
- Subsonic ammunition will be needed for sound suppressors to work their best.
- Adding lots of parts and ammunition could easily turn into trade clutter, which is why I'm beginning work on a system to break trade windows into sorted categories.
- Support for body-groups, which means adding parts and attachments to weapons without having to use bones such as wpn_scope or wpn_addon_silencer. I believe this is what both Shoker 3.0 and Gunslinger are doing.
- I'd like to add support for multiple textures for a weapon WITHOUT changing the model. If successful I will then try and recruit some texture artists.
- Adding dual-aiming. Examples: an AR-15 type rifle that has an optic but also has canted sights. Also the G36k and it's two sights.
- Refractive lens effect when looking through a scope (currently no 3D scopes, maybe later)
- 3D shell casings. I believe everything needed is in place to add these
- Weapon upgrades that are more realistic and meaningful, and if body-groups work out it will also affect the way a weapon may look after
- I've finally figured out a decent way to have both an indoor and outdoor/darkness muzzleflash, as well as different effects for indoor vs. outdoor gun shot sounds
- All weapons are deadly. Headshots kill, a few well placed rounds to the torso kill. This said there are pistol rounds and then there are rifle rounds and there is a big difference between them in terms of raw power and penetration.
- More research done on what an individual weapon's unique characteristics, and trying to represent those characteristics in-game. Animators are hard to come by so there are limitations, but for example there are many existing pistol animations to choose from, so for example if a particular pistol doesn't fully drop a mag but instead you have to pull it out, it will be shown that way.
- There is no "best" gun. Pick what feels right to you.
- Just as you can upgrade your weapon, so can the enemy.
I know many are likely expecting a new weapon list but that phase is still on-going. Right now we're trying to get all of the base/vanilla weapons done properly, and then move on from there. I can confirm that some new additions include a wz.88 Tantal, AK-107, and if I can get a little help grouping it, a Fort-401.
That's it for now, but I will try and get a new weapon list going within a couple of weeks along with lots of screenshots if not a video.