Hi everyone, I thought I'd give you an outline of what's next for Weapon Test Dummies, and also throw together a quick guide on things that aren't exactly spelled out in the game yet. Many of these will be made more clear in upcoming builds, but for now, here are a few things you should know.
- You start off with 3 research points which can be spent at the research center before you even play your first level. To do so, scroll to the right when you are in the town area after you load/create a game, and click on research. Here you can unlock new abilities and turrets at one point each.
- 'a' and 's' are the hotkeys for quickly placing turrets and abilities. These are currently case sensitive, so if they don't work, check your caps lock. (This will be fixed in the next build).
- There are two test levels on the level selection screen that aren't supposed to be there (Basic temple and Skyrise temple), and they aren't very well balanced, sorry about that. They will be removed next build most likely.
The game is in Alpha, so while the core of the game is currently there, there is still much content that I will continue to add to the game for quite some time before I consider it to be at release level. I can't promise the updates will come lightning fast (as I am just 1 person and working a full time job), but I plan to continue working on improving and adding to the game for far into the foreseeable future.
Here is what I am currently working on:
1. Reorganizing the game logic to make it easier to extend and add cool mechanics. This will allow me to do things like add particle effects to enemies/turrets much easier, and streamline the development process, as well as optimize a few things. It will also make it easier for modders in the future.
2. The game is kind of in a tech demo state, showing off many of the features of the engine, but not having a story line or solid campaign currently. I will be working on a way to better streamline this and try to weave some story into the game, as well as add some new levels.
3. The research system/unlocks will most likely change. The one point per level isn't the best system, and doesn't give you much replayability for levels.
4. New Score Screen, the one currently doesn't work as I'd like it.
5. Linux and Mac versions should be following soon. Stay tuned!
Of course there are many more things that I wish to do with Weapon Test Dummies, but the above will keep busy me for now. What would you like to see changed or added to WTD?