This is our second entry where I’m going to quickly update you with the progress we’ve made.
I’ve spent a great deal of time experimenting with lighting, colours and post effects . My main goal was to convey the feeling of being underground, slightly gloomy and confined but yet in the same cartoony style.
Games like Dungeon Keeper usually just use the fog of war to hide the world under the thick black blanket, and in most cases it works good, but in our game there is no fog of war. Using it only for creating atmosphere without any actual impact on the gameplay would be a shameful waste of the computing power. So I took a different path.
As you can see I went through many iterations, playing with colours and background shapes, before I found what it should look like. At least for now, I’m happy with the result, though I still have a few ideas I’d want to try in the future.
On the coding part we also progressed very nicely, every day the prototype is becoming to look like a real game. And even though everything is sped up, for the sake of testing, it’s already fun to play. Today I spent about an hour just planning and building my bunker.
- We made localization support,so in the future it will be much easier to support multiple languages.
- Key remapping, it’s not a supper significant feature but very handy.
- The bunker inhabitants get randomly generated names and stats .
- Objects which require water or electricity to work, now actually take it from the suppliers (generator or water pump)
- All types of farms are now working and produce harvest. Crops can die and go stale.
- Cooking and catering cycles are completed.
- Inhabitants use toilets, sleep in beds, take shower and so on. If there is no toilet on the map they will poop everywhere)).
- Med pod is fully functional, and can diagnose and treat many diseases .
- UI is 50% finished.
- Lifts to explore lower levels.
These are some new screenshots from the actual prototype, I made them without post effects and lighting being set up properly, just a dull unity scene with the props as they are.
Bobs' stats and profession window:
Individual Bob's window:
And some work in progress stuff: