Generating a procedural universe is amazingly easy. The code to do so is quite simple if you want to determine random planet positions, types, and other attributes. Naming these thousands of worlds, however, is a bit trickier.
Writing code to do random names based on conventions is quite possible and Astral Clause so far provides 6 methods of doing so.
- LLL-NNN: Generates names such as RHW-779 or ITT-256. These names are useful for unknown objects and stars where a more scientific or technical naming convention can be applied.
- NAME's NOUN: Generates names like Rebecca's Silence or Jacob's Pride. If you think this is familiar, its based on the sector naming convention found in many of X3's systems.
- NOUN of NAME: You can get Silence of Rebecca instead of Rebecca's Silence. This doubles the possible names from the name and noun style.
- ADJECTIVE NOUN: Free Planet or Sacred Sky are also quite easy to generate while still sounding good.
- ADJECTIVE NAME: Kind Sarah and Ruthless Caesar are some of the many possibilities this combination presents.
- RANDOM: Using syllables and random interconnecting letters, names like Gulujavak can be made. These are hit and miss and I am working on the code involved to make them more easily pronounceable.
These names were generated with the word stringing methods discussed earlier (I am omitting LLL-NNN because they're kind of boring and the random names because they don't sound good yet).
Although there are huge possibilities with just the 6 methods presented, if you can suggest any easily coded naming conventions I haven't thought of please let me know. Also if you want your first name to be included in the list of names, let me know too.