Hey watchers and everyone else reading this, It's been 2 weeks now since GraviNULL started and the progress since then has been amazing.
It feels more like 2 months ago rather then 2 weeks for me, I originally came up with the simple idea of using the gravity gun to fight and move around in zero gravity, since then it's become one heck of a mod to play and the first open alpha release is getting closer and closer.
For those new to the mod, here's a quick summary what it's about:
- You're spawned in an zero gravity enviroment with only a gravity gun.
- HELP I CAN'T MOVE.
- Oh what are all these shiny mines for? *Pushes right mouse button to grab it*
- Hey wait a minute, I didn't grab it, I'm pulled towards it with a grapple beam!
- *Swings around a bit*
- Player 2 has joined the server.
- *Grapples closer to a mine* Now the gravity gun grabs the mine.
- *Punts the mine at Player 2* The ball is sent off with a blast and electricity bursts forth from it.
- Player 2 gets hit with a zap and is now about to die, he gets hit a second time and gets vaporized GraviNULL style.
In short, you grapple onto mines, get close and aim at them to go into the standard gravity gun grab mode, then use left mouse to punt mines to charge them with enough power to become lethal.
Find it hard to picture all that in your mind? Well here's a shocking gameplay video!
For those who seen the previous video's as you can see a lot of progress has been made since the first video where you could only grapple mines and the map was just a round room with dev textures.
Several changes include:
- Grapple beam is activated prior to grabbing, giving you a small speed boost when grabbing a mine that's right in front of you(handy if stuck in a corner)
- The grapple beam remains active while grabbing a mine and the green/orange gets mixed with a bit of blue colour indicating the difference between grappling and grabbing
- Dead bodies now dissolve, but in GraviNULL style, the satisfying feeling of watching your enemies slam into walls remain, but they are dissolved with a modified HL2 dissolving effect, which can be seen in the above video.
- GraviNULL has 3 maps ready for playing now, with 1 or 2 more ready in time for the open alpha release.
Those aren't all the changes, but they are the most significant ones.
To conclude this newspost, here's some new screenshots of the updated two maps and one of the new maps.
The mod's first open alpha release is getting closer, however progress will be somewhat slower in the coming days because I will be starting at my new school. It's mostly some tweaking to various aspects of the gameplay so it won't take too long.
When it's more or less ready I will be taking the time to grab the interest of server hosters and people that can help get the word out about the mod. Then a public open alpha release will swiftly follow with hopefully enough servers to give everyone a chance to play the mod with people.
After the first open alpha, my plans are to:
- Add a new gamemode
- Add a "power", normal and "seeking" punting mode on the gravity gun
- Maybe some basic classes(think lightweight, faster grapple speed, less damage resistance, to heavy with slower grapple speed but higher damage resistance)
- Fix any important issues and take in mind other feedback from the first open alpha
That was all for now, stay tuned and keep watching! If you aren't watching already, click the "Track now!" button to stay up to date with all the shocking updates!