Yesterday I quietly released the full game... There are a few gameplay differences between BDDA3D and Wolf3D, this article describes the most important ones.
- Lives - The whole lives mechanic from Wolf3D has been removed. You only have one life, once you die you have to load a saved game or start a new one. So its advised that you save often, the F8 button is your friend.
- High scores - You can only enter a high score after you have finished the whole game, not every time you die.
- Modern controls - With default settings the game controls like a modern shooter (WSAD to move and mouse to look around). Strafe left/right buttons are hardcoded to A/D, you can't change them, but you can map the other actions to buttons normally just like in classic Wolf3D.
- Minimap - There is a simple minimap in the bottom right corner... Green pixel represents the player, grey represents walls, orange is a door and teal is a static blocking sprite. Everything else is black.
- Guns, enemies, health, damage - The differences will become obvious once you start to play the game... The most important difference is that damage is not randomized at all. There is more information in 'Read this' option in the game menu and the exact numbers are in GameMechanics.txt file in the game directory.
Thats the most important stuff... I hope that you enjoy playing the game as much as I enjoyed making it :-)